1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Average Diameter of a Grain

1. Sep 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the Average Grain Diameter

2. Relevant equations
    d= C/NLM

3. The attempt at a solution

My instructor hasn't defined what C or M are. I could easily solve this equation if I just knew which numbers I am supposed to substitute in for C and M. NL is the average number of intercepted grains determined by a 3, 3.5in line strategy. The number I have for it is 2.8grains/in.

Any clues on to what C and M could stand for?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2010 #2
    Attached is the handout given to me that gives an example of what I am supposed to do on my assignment. Relevant information is on pages 9,10,11.

Attached Files:

4. Sep 29, 2010 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Hmm. That's weird that they don't seem to define C or M. Even in the paper you posted, they just seem to throw them into that equation without any description that I can see.

I tried to see if Google could help, and it may be of help (but I didn't have time to go through all the hits yet). I Googled d=C/NM +grain, and got some good hits. Maybe have a look through some of the hits to see if they use that equation at all:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLL_enUS301US302&q=d=+C/NM++grain

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook