• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Average Diameter of a Grain

• Thread starter Peachhow
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Find the Average Grain Diameter

Homework Equations

d= C/NLM

The Attempt at a Solution

My instructor hasn't defined what C or M are. I could easily solve this equation if I just knew which numbers I am supposed to substitute in for C and M. NL is the average number of intercepted grains determined by a 3, 3.5in line strategy. The number I have for it is 2.8grains/in.

Any clues on to what C and M could stand for?

Answers and Replies

Attached is the handout given to me that gives an example of what I am supposed to do on my assignment. Relevant information is on pages 9,10,11.

Attachments

berkeman
Mentor

Homework Statement

Find the Average Grain Diameter

Homework Equations

d= C/NLM

The Attempt at a Solution

My instructor hasn't defined what C or M are. I could easily solve this equation if I just knew which numbers I am supposed to substitute in for C and M. NL is the average number of intercepted grains determined by a 3, 3.5in line strategy. The number I have for it is 2.8grains/in.

Any clues on to what C and M could stand for?
Hmm. That's weird that they don't seem to define C or M. Even in the paper you posted, they just seem to throw them into that equation without any description that I can see.

I tried to see if Google could help, and it may be of help (but I didn't have time to go through all the hits yet). I Googled d=C/NM +grain, and got some good hits. Maybe have a look through some of the hits to see if they use that equation at all:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLL_enUS301US302&q=d=+C/NM++grain