How to Find the Average Dipole Force for Unpolarized Dipoles?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the average force on a dipole in a uniform electric field, which involves integrating over the solid angle and dividing by the magnitude of the solid angle. The initial expression for the force is corrected and the units are questioned. The original problem is clarified to be computing the average force on the dipole from a dielectric sphere in a uniform electric field.
realcomfy
I just have a quick question about finding the average force of a dipole.

I am given the expression (after I derived it anyway):

[tex] \textbf{F} = -3 \left( \frac{e-1}{e+2} \right) \frac{R^{3}}{d^{7}} \left[4( p \bullet \hat d)^{2} \hat d + p^{2} \hat d - (p \bullet \hat d) \hat d \right][/tex]

where p is a vector whose direction is not specified. I am asked to average this force over all directions of p to give the average force for unpolarized dipoles. I am pretty sure this has something to do with integrating over the solid angle, but I am not sure how to treat the dipole terms in the force equation. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
To start with, your expression for [itex]\textbf{F}[/itex] looks very wrong to me...does [tex](\textbf{p}\cdot\hat{\mathbf{d}})\hat{\mathbf{d}}[/itex] have the same units as [tex]p^2\hat{\mathbf{d}}[/itex]? Does [itex]\textbf{F}[/itex] really have units of force?

What was the original problem?

Oops, I did make one mistake. The last term in the equation should be [tex] \left( p \cdot \hat d \right) p [/tex] Other than that everything should be correct.

e is the dielectric constant in gaussian units. p is the dipole moment. [tex]\hat d[/tex] is a unit vector in the d-direction.

Okay, at least the units make sense now...but still, what was the original question?

The way you've stated the problem doesn't make much sense...are you computing the average force of a single dipole on some material? The average force of a collection of dipoles on some material?The average force of some material on a single dipole? The average force of some material on a collection of dipoles? Something else entirely?

The idea is to compute the average force on the dipole from a dielectric sphere placed in a uniform electric field, also oriented in the d-direction. I think I got it figured out though. The idea is to define an angle theta with respect to the d-direction, and then integrate over the solid angle. The part I was missing before is that to get the average you then have to divide by the magnitude of the solid angle: 4 Pi.

1. What is average dipole force?

Average dipole force is a measure of the strength of the interaction between two dipoles. It is calculated by taking the average of the forces between the two dipoles over a period of time.

2. How is average dipole force calculated?

To calculate average dipole force, the forces between two dipoles are measured at regular intervals and then averaged over a period of time. This can be done using specialized equipment or through computer simulations.

3. What factors affect average dipole force?

The strength of average dipole force is affected by factors such as the distance between the dipoles, the orientation of the dipoles, and the strength of the individual dipoles.

4. What is the significance of average dipole force in scientific research?

Average dipole force plays a crucial role in understanding the interactions between molecules and materials. It is used in fields such as chemistry, physics, and materials science to study the properties and behavior of substances.

5. Can average dipole force be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, average dipole force can be manipulated or controlled through various methods such as changing the distance between the dipoles, altering the orientation of the dipoles, or changing the strength of the individual dipoles. This allows scientists to study the effects of different parameters on the average dipole force and its role in different processes.