1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average dipole force

1. Nov 16, 2009 #1
    I just have a quick question about finding the average force of a dipole.

I am given the expression (after I derived it anyway):

[tex] \textbf{F} = -3 \left( \frac{e-1}{e+2} \right) \frac{R^{3}}{d^{7}} \left[4( p \bullet \hat d)^{2} \hat d + p^{2} \hat d - (p \bullet \hat d) \hat d \right][/tex]

where p is a vector whose direction is not specified. I am asked to average this force over all directions of p to give the average force for unpolarized dipoles. I am pretty sure this has something to do with integrating over the solid angle, but I am not sure how to treat the dipole terms in the force equation. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To start with, your expression for [itex]\textbf{F}[/itex] looks very wrong to me....does [tex](\textbf{p}\cdot\hat{\mathbf{d}})\hat{\mathbf{d}}[/itex] have the same units as [tex]p^2\hat{\mathbf{d}}[/itex]? Does [itex]\textbf{F}[/itex] really have units of force?

What was the original problem?

4. Nov 16, 2009 #3
    Oops, I did make one mistake. The last term in the equation should be [tex] \left( p \cdot \hat d \right) p [/tex] Other than that everything should be correct.

e is the dielectric constant in gaussian units. p is the dipole moment. [tex]\hat d[/tex] is a unit vector in the d-direction.

5. Nov 16, 2009 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Okay, at least the units make sense now....but still, what was the original question?

The way you've stated the problem doesn't make much sense...are you computing the average force of a single dipole on some material? The average force of a collection of dipoles on some material?The average force of some material on a single dipole? The average force of some material on a collection of dipoles? Something else entirely?

6. Nov 17, 2009 #5
    The idea is to compute the average force on the dipole from a dielectric sphere placed in a uniform electric field, also oriented in the d-direction. I think I got it figured out though. The idea is to define an angle theta with respect to the d-direction, and then integrate over the solid angle. The part I was missing before is that to get the average you then have to divide by the magnitude of the solid angle: 4 Pi.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook