1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average distance between points on a circle

1. Dec 28, 2003 #1
    of radius r or a square of side length a? do you need some kind of quadruple or double integral or is there a trick?

sorry, i meant two points either in the interior of said shape or on the boundary.

for the circle, by symmetry, is that the same as the average distance between a point and the origin? that is, i think, 2r/3. note that the max distance is 2r and the min distance is 0.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2003 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What's wrong with a quadruple integral? :smile:

There is some symmetry one can exploit for the circle, but not what you suggested.

4. Dec 29, 2003 #3
    would this be the formula for the average distance for two points in a circle of radius r:
    [tex]\frac{\int_{-r}^{r}\int_{-\sqrt{r^{2}-y2^{2}}}^{\sqrt{r^{2}-y2^{2}}}\int_{-r}^{r}\int_{-\sqrt{r^{2}-y1^{2}}}^{\sqrt{r^{2}-y1^{2}}}\sqrt{\left( x2-x1\right) ^{2}+\left( y2-y1\right) ^{2}}dx1dy1dx2dy2}{\int_{-r}^{r}\int_{-\sqrt{r^{2}-y2^{2}}}^{\sqrt{r^{2}-y2^{2}}}\int_{-r}^{r}\int_{-\sqrt{r^{2}-y1^{2}}}^{\sqrt{r^{2}-y1^{2}}}1dx1dy1dx2dy2}[/tex]?

btw, i get [tex]\frac{\int_{-r}^{r}\int_{-\sqrt{r^{2}-y1^{2}}}^{\sqrt{r^{2}-y1^{2}}}\sqrt{x1^{2}+y1^{2}}dx1dy1}{\int_{-r}^{r}\int_{-\sqrt{r^{2}-y1^{2}}}^{\sqrt{r^{2}-y1^{2}}}1dx1dy1}=\frac{2r}{3}[/tex]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2003
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook