Calculating Average Drag Through Plasticene

In summary, drag is the average retarding force that an object experiences as it moves through a medium. In this conversation, the question was asked about the average drag experienced by a bullet as it moves through plasticine. The formula to calculate the work done by the drag force on the bullet is EK_{final}-EK_{initial}=W_{drag}, where EK is the kinetic energy of the bullet and W_{drag} is the work done by the drag force. The result of this calculation will give the distance the bullet will travel through the plasticine. It is important to note that the work done by the drag force is negative, meaning it is removing kinetic energy from the bullet.
D.T.
Average drag??

Hi' this is my first post here:rolleyes: , What is average drag:confused: :uhh: (underlined bit) eg,
I shot a bullet thru three pieces of plasticene(15cm thickness each) each placed 5 cm apart and the average drag of the plasticene is 5000 N the bullet has a mass of 200g was traveling at 100m/s how far will the bullet go through the plasticane ?? :shy: I'd like to know how to work that out as well :wink: :cool:
thanks a lot guys:wink::cool:

Physics news on Phys.org
Drag is the average retarding force that an object (in this case the bullet) experiences as it moves through the medium (plasticine). The plasticine therefore generates friction that slows the bullet down as it moves through it. The drag force will do work on the bullet causing a reduction of its kinetic energy. If we ignore other forces acting on the bullet we can say that:
the work done on the bullet by the drag force acting on it = the change in the kinetic energy of the bullet
using the work-kinetic energy theorem.

Oh:bugeye: , I see now, thanks alot, can I use this formula to solve this problem??
E2 = E1 + W21 ??
0 = 1/2 MV2 + f.S ??

I don't know whether its a right formula or not please correct if I'm wrong:redface: :frown:
thanks again!:cool:

Yes, your formula can be rewritten as
[tex]EK_{final}-EK_{initial}=W_{drag}[/tex]
where [itex]EK[/itex] is the kinetic energy of the bullet and [itex]W_{drag}[/itex] is the work done by the drag force on the bullet. That is the friction on the bullet is removing kinetic energy from the bullet as it moves throught the plasticene. The above equation reduces to
[tex]-EK_{initial}=W_{drag}[/tex]
since the final kinetic energy of the bullet is zero - it came to a stop - as you showed in your equation above. What to do about the negative sign??!

Well, the work done by the drag on the bullet is negative!

Last edited:

What is plasticene?

Plasticene is a synthetic modeling clay that is commonly used in scientific experiments and demonstrations.

What is drag?

Drag is a force that opposes the movement of an object through a fluid, such as air or water. It is caused by the friction between the object and the fluid.

Why is average drag important?

Average drag is important because it helps scientists understand the resistance an object will face when moving through a fluid. This information is crucial in designing things like airplanes and cars.

How is average drag through plasticene calculated?

The average drag through plasticene can be calculated by measuring the force required to move an object through the plasticene and dividing it by the surface area of the object.

What factors can affect the average drag through plasticene?

The viscosity of the plasticene, the shape and size of the object, and the speed at which the object is moving can all affect the average drag through plasticene.