Average Energy - Oscillations

In summary: then use the property of integration\int_{a}^{b}f(x)\,dx=\int_{a}^{b}f(a+b-x)\,dxto solve the integrals in terms of the given limits t1 and t2.
theuniverse

Homework Statement

Express the ratio of the average kinetic energy K to the average total energy E of the oscillator in terms of the dimensionless quantity ωo/ω.

Homework Equations

I found that:
K = (1/2)mA^2ω^2 sin^2(ωt − δ)
E = (1/2)mA^2[ω^2 sin^2(ωt − δ) + ωo^2 cos^2(ωt − δ)]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that my answer should be 1/[1 + (ωo/ω)^2].
I also found out that the total energy at the frequency of ω=ωo is: E=(1/2)mA^2ωo^2 (resonance) and I think it somehow relates to this problem.
I'm not quite sure how to reach the answer itself, or to make it more clear - I don't know how to come up with the terms for average K and average E.

Can anyone explain it to me?
Thank you for you time.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi

basically, you can average over some time period. for example

[tex]K_{avg}=\frac{\int_{t_1}^{t_2}K(t)\,dt}{\int_{t_1}^{t_2}dt}[/tex]

so how do you get t1 and t2 ? you can see that for

[tex]t=\frac{\delta}{\omega}[/tex]

K is zero and again for

[tex]t=\frac{\pi+\delta}{\omega}[/tex]

K is zero again. so we can let
[tex]t_1=\frac{\delta}{\omega}[/tex]

and

[tex]t_2=\frac{\pi+\delta}{\omega}[/tex]

which is the next value of t when K becomes zero. similarly you can average the total energy over the same range

[tex]E_{avg}=\frac{\int_{t_1}^{t_2}E(t)\,dt}{\int_{t_1}^{t_2}dt}[/tex]

and then finally take the ratios...

I tried to take the integral of the energy expressions I had but the substitution of the t's became very complicated, so I was wondering, does integral [sin^2(ωt − δ)] and integral [cos^2(ωt − δ)] evaluated on the interval of t2 and t1 have a specific solution?

I know that the integral of [sin^2(ωt − δ)] over any complete period of oscillation T is equal to T/2. However I am not sure how to apply this to my problem.

I'd appreciate any further input.

use trigonometric identities to solve the integrals

[tex]\sin^2(\omega t-\delta)=\frac{1}{2}\left[1-\cos\,2(\omega t-\delta)\right][/tex]

and similar one for the other[tex]\cos^2(\omega t-\delta)=\frac{1}{2}\left[1+\cos\,2(\omega t-\delta)\right][/tex]

I would like to clarify that the statement provided is not a complete homework assignment, but rather a partial solution to a problem. In order to answer this question, we need to understand the concept of average energy and oscillations.

Average energy is the total energy of a system divided by the number of oscillations it goes through. Oscillations refer to the back and forth motion of a system around a central equilibrium point.

In this problem, we are dealing with an oscillator with a mass m, amplitude A, and angular frequency ω. The average kinetic energy K and average total energy E are given by the equations provided in the statement.

To find the ratio of K to E, we can divide the equation for K by the equation for E. This gives us:

K/E = (1/2)mA^2ω^2 sin^2(ωt − δ) / [(1/2)mA^2[ω^2 sin^2(ωt − δ) + ωo^2 cos^2(ωt − δ)]]

Next, we can use the trigonometric identity sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1 to simplify the equation:

K/E = (1/2)mA^2ω^2 sin^2(ωt − δ) / [(1/2)mA^2[ω^2 + ωo^2] ]

Now, we can use the given dimensionless quantity ωo/ω to rewrite the equation as:

K/E = (1/2)mA^2ω^2 sin^2(ωt − δ) / [(1/2)mA^2ω^2(1 + (ωo/ω)^2) ]

Finally, we can cancel out the mA^2ω^2 terms and simplify the equation to get:

K/E = sin^2(ωt − δ) / [1 + (ωo/ω)^2]

This is the desired ratio of average kinetic energy to average total energy in terms of the dimensionless quantity ωo/ω.

To relate this to the resonance frequency of ω=ωo, we can substitute ωo for ω in the equation:

K/E = sin^2(ωt − δ) / [1 + (ωo/ωo)^2] = sin^2(ωt − δ) / [1 + 1

1. What is average energy in the context of oscillations?

Average energy in the context of oscillations refers to the average amount of energy that is present in a system undergoing oscillatory motion. This energy can be in the form of kinetic energy, potential energy, or a combination of both.

2. How is average energy calculated for an oscillating system?

To calculate average energy for an oscillating system, the total energy of the system is divided by the number of oscillations that the system undergoes. This can be represented by the equation: Average Energy = Total Energy / Number of oscillations.

3. What factors affect the average energy of an oscillating system?

The average energy of an oscillating system can be affected by various factors such as the amplitude of the oscillations, the frequency of the oscillations, and the mass of the system. Additionally, any external forces or friction can also affect the average energy.

4. How does the average energy change as the amplitude of oscillations increases?

As the amplitude of oscillations increases, the average energy of the system also increases. This is because the amplitude is directly proportional to the maximum displacement of the system, which results in a higher potential energy. As the system oscillates, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, resulting in a higher average energy.

5. Can the average energy of an oscillating system ever be negative?

No, the average energy of an oscillating system cannot be negative. This is because energy is a scalar quantity and cannot have a negative value. However, the total energy of the system can fluctuate between positive and negative values depending on the position of the system within the oscillation cycle.