1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average force magnitude

1. Apr 10, 2005 #1
    I have been having a hard time with the following question:

A 400 mL spherical flask contains 0.075 mol of an ideal gas at a temperature of 300 K. What is the average force-magnitude exerted on the walls of the flask by a single molecule?

I couldn't really start the problem because I have two unknowns: m and v. I need m to find v, and i need v to find F. Because it doesn't give me a molar mass, i am lost on how to find v, wondering if there is another approach I could take? Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

U can find the pressure (in Pa) and then compute the average force by multiplying the pressure in Pa with the surface area in m^{2}...U can't use kinetic theory,because computing the momentum transfer by a molecule would require knowledge of the average magnitude of velocity and the molecule's mass...

Daniel.

4. Apr 10, 2005 #3
    Think ideal gas law to find the pressure, then do as dextercioby said.

5. Apr 10, 2005 #4
    Ok so I used PV=nRT to find pressure:

P*(.4L) = (0.075)*(8.31)*(300)
    =467.43Pa

Then I calculated the surface area by setting the volume equal to 3/4pi r^3:

find the radius (=.45708) and finding surface A=4pi*r^2 =2.6

Now calculating the F from F=PA gave me 1227. This was incorrect.
    I also tried subsituting the volume with .0004m^3 (1L=10^-3m^3) and recalculating the P and A and it was still incorrect.

I don't understand what i did wrong, I understand the logic behind finding F this way, but my calculations are wrong. Can anyone please help me?

6. Apr 10, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It can't be right.U gotta be consistent with your units...Use SI-mKgs...

[tex] p=\frac{\nu RT}{V} \ [Pa] [/tex]

[tex] p=\frac{0.075\cdot 10^{-3} \ \mbox{Kmol} \cdot 8314 \ \frac{\mbox{J}}{\mbox{Kmol}\cdot\mbox{K}} \cdot 300 \ \mbox{K}}{0.4\cdot 10^{-3} \ \mbox{m}^{3}} [/tex]

and get that #.

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?