What is the Correct Way to Calculate Average Force of Impulse?

In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with a physics equation involving impulse and momentum. They provide their attempt at a solution and question its correctness, but the other person confirms that it is correct and suggests the online system may be incorrect. The student thanks the other person for their reassurance.
Psych Berry
I can't seem to master this equation, because I think I'm doing things right and I'm not.

Homework Statement

When a 410 baseball gram is hit, its velocity changes from +28.87 m/s to -22.34 m/s. The baseball is in contact with the bat for 56.10 milliseconds. You may assume that the balls outward velocity is antiparallel to its incoming velocity.

What is the magnitude of the average force on the ball?

Homework Equations

FΔt = mΔv

The Attempt at a Solution

(0.410 kg)(-22.34 m/s - 28.87 m/s)/(0.0561 s) = F
374.3 N = F
But this isn't correct.

I messed up Δv before, did I do it again?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks OK to me. Why do you say it's wrong?

Doc Al said:
Looks OK to me. Why do you say it's wrong?

It's an online pre-assignment, said my answer was incorrect. I tried playing around with sig figs and signs (in case the question forgot it's supposed to be magnitude), but I've tried 5 times and haven't been able to get it correct.

Those online systems can be flaky. But there's nothing wrong with your understanding of that impulse-momentum equation.

Doc Al said:
Those online systems can be flaky. But there's nothing wrong with your understanding of that impulse-momentum equation.

That's definitely true, thanks! I for sure trust your physics judgment over the program's.

What is the definition of "Average Force of Impulse"?

The average force of impulse is the measure of the change in momentum of an object over a specific period of time. It is the average force applied to an object to cause a change in its velocity.

How is the average force of impulse calculated?

The average force of impulse is calculated by dividing the change in momentum by the time it takes for the change to occur. This can be represented by the equation F = Δp/Δt, where F is the average force, Δp is the change in momentum, and Δt is the time interval.

What is the difference between average force of impulse and instantaneous force of impact?

The average force of impulse is the average amount of force applied to an object over a period of time, while the instantaneous force of impact is the force applied to an object at a specific moment in time. The average force of impulse takes into account the entire duration of the impact, while the instantaneous force of impact only considers the force at a single point in time.

Why is the average force of impulse important in sports and other activities?

The average force of impulse is important in sports and other activities because it helps to measure the impact of movements on the body. It can help athletes and coaches understand the amount of force their bodies are experiencing and make adjustments to prevent injuries or improve performance.

What factors can affect the average force of impulse?

The average force of impulse can be affected by factors such as the mass and velocity of the object, the duration of the impact, and any external forces acting on the object. The angle and direction of the impact can also impact the average force of impulse.