Average force on a baseball

In summary, to calculate the average force on a person's hand when catching a baseball with an initial speed of 44.7 m/sec and a mass of 0.50 kg, you can use Newton's 2nd Law and the kinematic equation. First, use the kinematic equation to find the acceleration, which is -73.5 m/sec. Then, use F=ma to find the force, which is 37.25 N. However, note that force should not be negative, so you may need to double check your calculations.
lochs
I need help with this question as well: If the baseball in example 4.5 is caught by a person whose hand recoils 0.30 m, calculate the average force on the person's hand. (The initial speed of the baseball is 44.7 m/sec and its mass is 0.50 kg.)

This is what i have, but I'm not sure if it's right...

w=mg I'm not even sure if i have to convert that or not
w=(0.50 kg)(9.8 m/sec2)
w=4.9Nthen I'm not sure how to represent kenitic energy on here but here it goes,
KE=(1/2mv)2 ..(squared)
KE= 1/2(4.9 N)(44.7 m/sec)2
KE= 4895.32 J

thats what i have, but I am not sure if i should convert mass to weight if not then go i just put the 0.50 in the KE equation? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use Newton's 2nd Law: [tex]a = \frac{F_{net}}{m}[/tex] or [tex]F_{net}=ma[/tex]

To find "a" is the tricky part. You have to use the information they gave you. I would use the kinematic equation:

[tex]v_{f}^2 = v_{i}^2 + 2ad[/tex]

Vf = 0
Vi = 44.7
d = .3
a = ?

You should be able to solve it from here.

Thanks =)
ok for acceleration i got -73.5 m/sec

then i did
F=ma
F=(0.50 kg)(-74.5 m/sec)
F=37.25 N

now my question is can you have negative force, cause i got a negative number ..but i didnt think you could have negative force.

1. What is the average force on a baseball when it is hit by a bat?

The average force on a baseball when it is hit by a bat can vary depending on several factors such as the speed of the bat, the angle of impact, and the weight of the baseball. On average, the force can range from 2,000 to 4,000 pounds.

2. How is the average force on a baseball calculated?

The average force on a baseball can be calculated by dividing the change in momentum of the ball by the time it takes for the ball to travel from the bat to the point of contact. This calculation is known as the impulse-momentum theorem.

3. Does the average force on a baseball change depending on the type of pitch?

Yes, the average force on a baseball can vary depending on the type of pitch. For example, a fastball typically has a higher average force compared to a curveball or changeup. This is due to the higher velocity of the pitch.

4. How does air resistance affect the average force on a baseball?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can decrease the average force on a baseball. As the ball travels through the air, it experiences a drag force that opposes its motion. This can result in a decrease in the ball's speed and therefore a decrease in the average force.

5. Can the average force on a baseball be changed by altering the mass of the ball?

Yes, the average force on a baseball can be changed by altering its mass. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, force is directly proportional to mass. This means that a heavier ball will have a higher average force compared to a lighter ball when hit with the same amount of force.