1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average force on a baseball

1. Mar 8, 2005 #1
    I need help with this question as well: If the baseball in example 4.5 is caught by a person whose hand recoils 0.30 m, calculate the average force on the person's hand. (The initial speed of the baseball is 44.7 m/sec and its mass is 0.50 kg.)

This is what i have, but i'm not sure if it's right...

w=mg i'm not even sure if i have to convert that or not
    w=(0.50 kg)(9.8 m/sec2)
    w=4.9N

then i'm not sure how to represent kenitic energy on here but here it goes,
    KE=(1/2mv)2 ..(squared)
    KE= 1/2(4.9 N)(44.7 m/sec)2
    KE= 4895.32 J

thats what i have, but im not sure if i should convert mass to weight if not then go i just put the 0.50 in the KE equation? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2005 #2
    Use Newton's 2nd Law: [tex]a = \frac{F_{net}}{m}[/tex] or [tex]F_{net}=ma[/tex]

To find "a" is the tricky part. You have to use the information they gave you. I would use the kinematic equation:

[tex]v_{f}^2 = v_{i}^2 + 2ad[/tex]

Vf = 0
    Vi = 44.7
    d = .3
    a = ?

You should be able to solve it from here.

4. Mar 8, 2005 #3
    Thanks =)
    ok for acceleration i got -73.5 m/sec

then i did
    F=ma
    F=(0.50 kg)(-74.5 m/sec)
    F=37.25 N

now my question is can you have negative force, cause i got a negative number ..but i didnt think you could have negative force.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?