Calculating Average Force on Walls from Bouncing Ball Collisions

In summary, the average force exerted by the ball on the walls in this situation can be calculated by dividing the total change in momentum by the time of contact between the ball and the walls during each collision. This results in an average force of mv^2/d, where m is the mass of the ball, v is its velocity, and d is the distance between the walls. The time between collisions can be calculated by dividing the distance between the walls by the velocity of the ball.
Saitama

Homework Statement

A ball of mass m bounces between two parallel walls, such that its velocity v is perpendicular to the walls.The collisions with the walls are totally elastic. What is the average force exerted by the ball on the walls, if the distance between the walls is d?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When the ball collides with one of the walls and bounces back, the total change in momentum is ##2mv##. The average force can be calculated by
[tex]F_{avg}=\frac{2mv}{\Delta t}[/tex]
What can I substitute for ##\Delta t## here? :confused:

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the time between collisions?

Doc Al said:
What's the time between collisions?

2l/v? But why do I need the time between collisions? ##\Delta t## is the time of contact between the wall and the ball during the collision. :confused:

Pranav-Arora said:
2l/v? But why do I need the time between collisions? ##\Delta t## is the time of contact between the wall and the ball during the collision. :confused:
I think they mean overall average, not average just during each collision.

Doc Al said:
I think they mean overall average, not average just during each collision.

In my previous post, I meant to say l/v. Is that correct?

Pranav-Arora said:
In my previous post, I meant to say l/v. Is that correct?
What is l? If you mean d, then no.

Doc Al said:
What is l? If you mean d, then no.

Yes, I mean d. Sorry.

Why is it wrong? Do you mean the time taken between the collisions on the same wall?

Pranav-Arora said:
Do you mean the time taken between the collisions on the same wall?
Yes, exactly.

Doc Al said:
Yes, exactly.

Its 2d/v then. Hence the average force is mv^2/d. Thank you Doc Al! :smile:

Good! :approve:

What is the concept of average force on the walls?

The average force on the walls refers to the overall force exerted on the walls of an object over a period of time. It takes into account all the forces acting on the walls, both internal and external.

How is average force on the walls calculated?

To calculate the average force on the walls, the total force exerted on the walls is divided by the time period over which it is exerted. This can be represented by the equation: average force = total force / time.

What factors can affect the average force on the walls?

The average force on the walls can be affected by various factors such as the size and weight of the object, the type and magnitude of forces acting on the walls, and the duration of time over which the forces are applied.

Why is it important to consider the average force on the walls?

Calculating the average force on the walls is important for understanding the overall stress and strain experienced by the walls of an object. It can also help in designing structures that can withstand the forces exerted on them.

How does the average force on the walls relate to Newton's laws of motion?

The average force on the walls is directly related to Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that a larger average force on the walls will result in a greater acceleration of the object.