Average force of a tennis ball

In summary, the problem involves a tennis ball with a mass of 0.057 kg being hit by a professional tennis player with enough force to give it a speed of 44 m/s. The ball then hits a wall and bounces back with the same speed. High-speed photography shows that the ball is crushed about 2.1 cm at the instant when its speed is momentarily zero. The magnitude of the average force exerted by the wall on the ball during contact can be found using Newton's second law, F = dp/dt. The change in momentum (dp) can be calculated from the given data, and the time interval (dt) can be found by considering the ball's movement before and after contact.
Null_

Homework Statement

A tennis ball has a mass of 0.057 kg. A professional tennis player hits the ball hard enough to give it a speed of 44 m/s (about 99 miles per hour.) The ball moves toward the left, hits a wall and bounces straight back to the right with almost the same speed (44 m/s). As indicated in the diagram below, high-speed photography shows that the ball is crushed about d = 2.1 cm at the instant when its speed is momentarily zero, before rebounding.

What is the magnitude of the average force exerted by the wall on the ball during contact?

Homework Equations

pf=pi+Fnet([tex]\Delta[/tex]T

The Attempt at a Solution

For this problem, we also had to solve for the average speed from contact to 0, [tex]\Delta[/tex]T, and mag. of Fgrav.

vavg= 22 m/s in x direction
[tex]\Delta[/tex]T= 9.5455e-4 sec
mg=.5586 N

I got those right. Now for my attempt at the force.

I know that
pf=pi + Fnet [tex]\Delta[/tex]T.
and
pavg= m(vavg)
= (.057)(22)
= 1.254

I assumed that Favg=pavg/[tex]\Delta[/tex]T
and got
Favg= (1.254)/(9.5455e-4)
= 1313.708

That's not right.
Help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello!
I find your solution kinda clumsy ;] force according to Newton's second law is:
F = dp/dt
dp is change in the linear momentum, and dt is time interval in which change in momentum occurred. You assumed that average force is (average momentum)/dt, which is not true. You can find dp directly from data you are given, and to find dt, just use the fact that the ball's center of mass (i guess so ;]) moves 2.1 cm to stop, and 2.1 cm to rebound.

Last edited:

1. What is the average force of a tennis ball?

The average force of a tennis ball can vary depending on factors such as the speed of the ball, the material it is made of, and the force exerted on it by the player. However, on average, a tennis ball is estimated to have a force of around 50 pounds per square inch (psi) when hit by a professional player.

2. How is the average force of a tennis ball calculated?

The average force of a tennis ball is calculated by dividing the force exerted on the ball by the surface area of the ball. This is known as pressure and is measured in psi or Newtons per square meter (N/m^2). The formula for pressure is force divided by area.

3. Does the average force of a tennis ball change during a match?

Yes, the average force of a tennis ball can change during a match. As players become fatigued, their force and speed may decrease, resulting in a decrease in the force of the ball. Additionally, the type of shot and technique used by the player can also impact the force of the ball.

4. How does the average force of a tennis ball affect gameplay?

The average force of a tennis ball can have a significant impact on gameplay. A higher force can result in a faster and more powerful shot, making it more difficult for the opponent to return. It can also affect the trajectory and bounce of the ball, making it more challenging for players to anticipate and return shots.

5. Can the average force of a tennis ball be increased?

Yes, the average force of a tennis ball can be increased through various means. Players can use techniques such as topspin to increase the force and spin of the ball. The type of racket used and the string tension can also impact the force of the ball. Additionally, environmental factors such as temperature and altitude can also affect the force of the ball.