How Is Average Induced Voltage Calculated in a Rotated Coil?

In summary, a coil with 10 windings and a radius of 0.07m is placed in a homogenous magnetic field with a strength of 0.050T, making an angle of 90 degrees with the field lines. The magnetic flux is at its maximum in this position. After being turned 180 degrees over a period of 0.050 seconds, the average induced voltage is 0.31 volts. This is calculated by finding the change in magnetic flux, which is twice the initial value, and using the formula Uinduced = -N * dphi/dt.
dumbperson

Homework Statement

A coil with 10 windings(radius 0,07m) is inside a homogenous magnetic(B=0,050T) field, it makes an angle of 90 degrees with the field lines so the magnetic flux is at it's max. Over a period of 0,050 seconds it gets turned by 180 degrees, what is the average induced voltage?

Homework Equations

phi=B*A
Uinduced=-N* dphi/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

The area is 0.07²*pi= 0,015393804 m²
So the magnetic flux in the situation before the turning is 0,015393804*0,050=0,0007696902 Wb
(I don't normally write numbers like this)
After it turns, this is the part i am unsure about, is the magnetic flux now -0,0007696902?
because phi=B*cos(180)*A
so the difference in magnetic flux is -2*(0,0007696902)
Then Uinduced = -10 * (-2*(0,0007696902))/0.050 = 0,31 volts. Is this correct?

I am verry sorry for my english. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? :-)

Welcome to Physics Forums.

Yes, that looks good. I didn't check your arithmetic, but your procedure and reasoning are correct. The flux simply changes sign (+ to -) when the coil is flipped 180 degrees, so the change in flux is 2x the value of the flux.

Thank you very much !

I would suggest double checking your calculations and units to ensure accuracy. The magnetic flux after the turning would not be negative, as the angle of 180 degrees represents a complete rotation, so the cosine would be 1. Additionally, make sure to use the correct units for magnetic flux (Webers or Wb) and time (seconds) in your calculations. Overall, your approach seems correct and the final answer of 0.31 volts seems reasonable. However, it is always good practice to double check your work and units to ensure accuracy.

1. What is average induced voltage?

Average induced voltage is the average value of the voltage induced in a circuit or system over a specific period of time.

2. How is average induced voltage calculated?

Average induced voltage is calculated by dividing the total induced voltage in a given time period by the duration of that time period.

3. What factors can affect the average induced voltage?

The average induced voltage can be affected by the strength and frequency of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the coil, and the velocity of the conductor through the field.

4. What are some real-world applications of average induced voltage?

Average induced voltage is used in various applications such as power generation through electromagnetic induction in generators, speed measurement in vehicles using speedometers, and data transmission in communication systems.

5. How does average induced voltage differ from peak induced voltage?

Average induced voltage is the average value over a period of time, while peak induced voltage is the maximum value at any given moment. Peak induced voltage can be significantly higher than average induced voltage, as it captures sudden changes in the induced voltage.