Average IQ

• Thread starter Noxide
  • Start date
I score well but I imagine I'd score even better if I wasn't heavily dyslexic.

Approaching 160 but as I've said before I wouldn't take it all that seriously it's not even that correlated to intelligence, see the Flynn effect it tends to reflect level of education more than anything, to the point that people who take even a few months off school can see reduced IQ?!

drankin
What correlation does IQ have to doing any of those things successfully? I don't see why someone with an average IQ would be limited in how well he could do those things.
The correlation of between being an athlete and being, for example, an NFL runningback is obvious.

That was my point, a high IQ isn't necessary. I know a few unsuccessful geniuses myself. :)

IQ tests test certain abilities. There exists arbitrary nomenclature for those who attain certain scores in relation to their aptitude for a certain ability that is tested by an IQ test. If the test says that if person x scores 180 then person x is a genius then the person is a genius according to the arbitrary nomenclature associated with that test. I do not care about your opinions of the test, as I have not asked about your opinions of the test. Stop talking about the test and address the questions posed. lol

Ask a thousand people whether their IQ is above or below average. Unlike some of the honest people in this thread, a significant majority will answer "above," and most of them don't know what an IQ is.

Sadly the only thing an IQ tests is your ability to do IQ tests, apart from that it's kind of moot that it has any value except to determine how well you will do in Western education.

It was after all invented to highlight people who had problems with education not so called "intelligent" people and was never meant to indicate the actual intellect of the person, for a start it tests only a small part of what we think of as intelligence. It's a bit like taking a hatchet to the brain instead of a scalpel.

Average IQ means you will probably do about average at school if you don't pull the lead out and study your arse off.

I score highly by the way in case you think it's sour grapes, I'm a realist. It's a rough guide that will highlight in which areas you might excel and more importantly areas you need to improve on, but the brains ability to learn is fairly elastic especially when younger, sure you are born with a certain amount of smarts but plenty of great minds have scored low and then gone on to revolutionise their field. Nothing more than a rough guide in my opinion.

We all know people who were tragically bad at school, and seemed dense, but give them a mechanical problem or something practical and for some reason they just get it, and leave you speechless and looking like a dumbass. :biggrin:

Last edited:
I'm going to preface this post by stating that I have an above average IQ. I'm curious about those with average and below average IQ's, especially in relation to academic pursuits.

Is it possible for someone with an average IQ to be successful in physics (successful means whatever you want it to mean- within reason)? I don't quite know what challenges an average person would face when studying physics. Is it outrageous to think that an above average IQ is unnecessary when studying physics? Would it even be possible to succeed in physics with a below than average IQ?

If you, or if you know of anyone who has an average or below average IQ please let me know what they have struggled with throughout their studies.

I heard somewhere that Richard Feynmans IQ was only a little above average perhaps by a couple of standard deviations ie in the region of the 120s. So considering that yes you can, but it is up to you to improve yourself.

Attitude and motivation is far more important than an arbitrary score.

Turn your question around an average IQ is the minimum but a higher one might help. But there's no reason it will if you are lazy or can't be bothered to use whatever intelligence you have.

Ask a thousand people whether their IQ is above or below average. Unlike some of the honest people in this thread, a significant majority will answer "above," and most of them don't know what an IQ is.

People exaggerating their intelligence?! Get outta here! There's just this one guy somewhere in Montana I think with an IQ of -10^50.