Calculating the Average Kinetic Energy of a Helium Atom at 20°C

In summary, to find the average kinetic energy of an atom of helium gas at 20 degrees C, the equation E = kT/2 can be used for each degree of freedom. Since an atom of He has three degrees of freedom in translational KE, the equation becomes KE = 3kT/2. Using this logic, the calculated value for kinetic energy is 6.1 x 10^-21, while the correct answer is 4.0 x 10^-21. It is possible that the teacher used the simpler equation kT to find the answer, while the original attempt used the more comprehensive approach.
jgens
Gold Member

Homework Statement

What is the average kinetic energy of an atom of helium gas at a temperature of 20 degrees C?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my attempt at a solution: Using the equation E = kT/2 for each degree of freedom, I found that KE = 3kT/2 since an atom of He has three degrees of freedom in translational KE. Using this logic I fould that KE = 6.1 x 10^-21 while the correct answer should be 4.0 x 10^-21. Can someone help me understand where my logic/reasoning is incorrect? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks okay to me. Someone got the 4.0 answer by just finding kT.

That's what I thought my teacher might have done. Thanks!

What is the average kinetic energy of one atom of helium?

The average kinetic energy of one atom of helium is approximately 3.2 x 10^-21 joules.

How is the average kinetic energy of one atom of helium calculated?

The average kinetic energy of one atom of helium is calculated using the formula KE = (3/2)kT, where k is the Boltzmann constant and T is the temperature in Kelvin. For helium at room temperature (298 K), the average kinetic energy is approximately 3.2 x 10^-21 joules.

What factors can affect the average kinetic energy of one atom of helium?

The average kinetic energy of one atom of helium can be affected by changes in temperature, as well as changes in the mass or velocity of the atom.

Why is the average kinetic energy of one atom of helium important to understand?

Understanding the average kinetic energy of one atom of helium is important in many areas of science, including thermodynamics, gas dynamics, and quantum mechanics. It also helps us better understand the behavior of gases and their properties.

Is the average kinetic energy of one atom of helium the same as its total kinetic energy?

No, the average kinetic energy of one atom of helium refers to the average energy of the atom in a group or population. The total kinetic energy of an individual atom will depend on its mass and velocity.