1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average Momentum Integral

1. Dec 13, 2005 #1

eck

I have the physics question along with the solution, but in the solution I don't understand how they evaluated the integral. I can't get my brower to preview TeX input, so I'm going to leave it without formatting, but you can find the problem here and the solution here. The problem I am looking at is number one. I've also got the problem and solution posted here (w/o formatting) but it's kind of hard to read:
    Problem
    --------------------
    A particle's coordinate space wavefunction is square-integrable and real up to an arbitrary multiplicative phase:
    psi(x) = exp(i * alpha) phi (x)
    with alpha real and constant and phi(x) real. Prove that its average momentum is zero.
    Solution
    -------------------
    Setting up the integral is easy, and you can pull out a couple constants. So you have an infinite integral with this inside:
    dx exp(-i alpha) phi(x) exp(i alpha) d/dx[phi(x)]
    Somehow, in the solution, they pull out 1/2 and leave the following in the integral:
    dx d/dx[phi(x)^2]
    When I look at it, I see the exponentials cancelling, but I don't understand where the 1/2 comes from and how the first phi(x) gets pulled into the derivative.
    Can anyone shed any insight on how this integral was simplified?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2005 #2

eck

I was looking at the problem some more, and all of a sudden it hit me. It's kind of embarrassing that I didn't see it before. If anyone else looks at it... nothing tricky is involved. It's integration by parts, but it's so obvious I didn't even see it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?