Average Net Force and G Force

In summary, the tightrope walker experiences a G force of 9.81 m/s^2 when her fall is broken by the net.
tod88

Homework Statement

A 65 kilogram tightrope walker falls vertically downward with a velocity of 9.9m/s. She falls into a net which stretches 1.5m vertically as it breaks her fall. What is the average net force on the walker as her fall is being broken, and what is the G force that she experiences? Assume no air resistance.

Homework Equations

(Force)*(Change in Time) = (mass)*(Vf - Vi)
(1/2)kx^2 ??

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I was not given an amount of time I am not sure how to start this problem. I know her Vf will obviously be 0 m/s. 9.9 m/s is her initial velocity. From this I can find that

F*(change in time) = (65)(9.9)

but I am still lost as to how to find force or change in time. I thought about using elastic potential energy (1/2 k*x^2) or gravitational potential energy (mgh) but I didn't see how this would help me (especially since I don't know the h).

Could someone please give me some tips as to where to start?

For G force I know that 1 G is equal to 9.81 m/s^2 but that is all.

Physics news on Phys.org
Err, is that all you're given?

You just have to know her velocity when she reaches the net, so you need to know how far above it she is

Then once you know her velocity when she reaches the net(maybe we're just assuming that it's 9.9m/s?)you know she has kinetic energy 1/2*mv^2

Once the net is done applying a force to her over that 1.5m of distance, she will have had work done on her to cancel her kinetic energy(use W=F*d)

Thanks...the problem just said that "her velocity is 9.9m/s" so I'm assuming that is velocity when she hits the net, otherwise, as I thought, it would be impossible to solve. Thanks for the help though...that does make more sense to do it that way.

What is average net force?

Average net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account all of the individual forces acting on it. It is calculated by adding up all of the forces and dividing by the mass of the object. It is important in understanding the overall motion and acceleration of an object.

How is average net force related to acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that as the net force increases, the acceleration of the object will also increase, assuming the mass remains constant.

What is G Force and how is it related to average net force?

G Force, or gravitational force, is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. It is closely related to average net force, as the force of gravity is often one of the forces included in the calculation of average net force. However, G Force specifically refers to the force of gravity, while average net force takes into account all forces.

What are some common units of measurement for average net force and G Force?

The most common unit for average net force is the Newton (N), which is equivalent to 1 kg*m/s^2. G Force is typically measured in multiples of the acceleration due to gravity on Earth, which is 9.8 m/s^2. Some other units for G Force include Gs, which stands for multiples of the acceleration due to gravity, and pounds of force (lbf).

How can average net force and G Force be calculated in real-world situations?

In real-world situations, average net force and G Force can be calculated using the equations and principles of Newton's Laws of Motion. This involves breaking down all of the individual forces acting on an object and determining the net force and acceleration. In some cases, specialized equipment such as force sensors or accelerometers may be used to measure and calculate these forces.