1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average of 2 functions

1. Nov 2, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    My question pertains to taking the average over a particular period that is composed of 2 functions. For example, from [0, 5ms] the function is defined by 1-e^(-t/1ms)and then by e^(-t/1ms) from [5ms, 10ms].

Will the average from 0-->10 simply be the following:
    [tex]\bar{f}=\frac{1}{5}\int^{5 ms}_{0}{1-e^{-t/1 ms}}+\frac{1}{5}\int ^{5}_{0}{e^{-t/1 ms}}[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2011 #2
    If you look at the bottom graph that is orange, it gives visual representation as to what I am trying to take the average of. One period, two functions. One function for half the period, another function for the last half.
    1873_8RC%20Input%20Waveform.JPG

4. Nov 3, 2011 #3
    Nvm, pretty sure it is as follows:
    [tex]\bar{f}=\frac{1}{10}\int^{5 ms}_{0}{1-e^{-t/1 ms}}+\frac{1}{10}\int ^{5}_{0}{e^{-t/1 ms}}[/tex]
    Since the entire period is 10, then both contributions from each function needs to be divided by this number. If I hadn't done this, I would not be considering the other half where each function is zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook