1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average of log

1. Feb 15, 2008 #1
    Hello,

I am interested in the average behaviour of the log of a function.

I know the average of the function over the range of interest: [tex]F = \frac{1}{(b-a)} \int_a^b f(x) dx.[/tex]

I also know that [tex]f(x)[/tex] is convex and bounded from below by [tex]1.[/tex]

I want to know the average [tex]\frac{1}{(b-a)} \int_a^b \log( f(x) ) dx.[/tex]

In particular, under what circumstances this would be equal to the log of the average, [tex]\log(F)[/tex], up to a constant term, if [tex]F = \frac{1}{(b-a)}[/tex] and [tex](b-a)[/tex] tends to zero.

Many thanks for any help.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2008 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My first observation is [itex]\lim_{b\rightarrow a}\int_a^b f(x) dx/{(b-a)} = f(a).[/itex]

Second, I am not sure how the numerator of F remains constant ([itex]\int_a^b f(x) dx[/itex] = 1) when b--->a. I expect [itex]\lim_{b\rightarrow a}\int_a^b f(x) dx[/itex] = 0. Can you explain?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  4. Feb 15, 2008 #3
    Ah, sorry - I should have explicitly pointed out that [tex]f(x)=f(b-a,x).[/tex]

In fact, what I'm looking at is the average slope of a function [tex]g(x),[/tex] which has range [tex][0,1][/tex] and domain [tex][a,b].[/tex]

Thus [tex]f(x)=\frac{dg(x)}{dx}[/tex] and its integral over the domain must give [tex]1.[/tex]

The asymptotic properties must depend on the behaviour of [tex]f(x)[/tex] I suppose, e.g. if [tex]\limsup_{(b-a)\to 0}f(b)=K f(a)[/tex] for a constant [tex]K,[/tex] then what I ask for holds.

But what if more generally, as I ask, all I know is that [tex]f(x)\geq 1[/tex] and is convex? What about other classes of function?

Thanks for the response!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?