Average of Multiple Graphs

In summary, the data does not represent a change in voltage over time accurately because the time indices are different.
u-zara
I have 10 sets of data which I have to analyze. The data represents a change in voltage over time and I want to come up with an "average" curve to represent the 10 sets of data. The problem is that the time index for each data is different so I can't simply average the voltage. Is there any method which I can use to solve this problem? I've attached an image of the graph with 3 sets of the data so you understand what I'm dealing with. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• graph.PNG
    graph.PNG
    12.6 KB · Views: 533
Physics news on Phys.org
I take it you have reason to believe that the three plots are for the same physics?

The time index does not matter - just combine the three plots as a single set of ordered pairs (v,t). The time step ti-ti-1 need not be constant.

Thanks for the reply. However I'm not just thinking of combining the graphs. I want a curve which is an average of all the data, for example a single spline curve which represents the data.

u-zara said:
Thanks for the reply. However I'm not just thinking of combining the graphs. I want a curve which is an average of all the data, for example a single spline curve which represents the data.

That sounds suspiciously like a regression problem, but approaching it that way is going to be a little complicated (e.g. the errors are clearly not normally distributed).

Yeah - it's very skewed.
u-zara said:
Is there any method which I can use to solve this problem?
... and what problem was that?
The problem is that the time index for each data is different so I can't simply average the voltage.
... that's right, you need to use a weighted average.

As Number-Nine says, this is a regression problem with non-normal statistics.
You can, however, use the physics of the situation to guide the shape of the regressed curve - and then you have to decide what sort of regression you will be happy with.

Of course, you can just make a guess to the curve and adjust the parameters by eye until you get something reasonable. The human visual system is quite good at this sort of thing but you may have to be more rigorous than that.

It's a bit hard to tell from the fog of datapoints, but it looks to me that the time axis problem is worse than merely having different sample instants; some of the datasets look stretched in time relative to others. Is that what you meant when you said the time index was different?

What is the purpose of finding the average of multiple graphs?

The purpose of finding the average of multiple graphs is to determine a general trend or pattern across all of the data. By averaging multiple graphs, we can get a more accurate representation of the overall data instead of just looking at individual graphs.

How do you calculate the average of multiple graphs?

To calculate the average of multiple graphs, you first need to gather all of the data points from each individual graph. Then, add up all of the data points and divide the sum by the total number of data points. This will give you the average value for that specific data point across all of the graphs.

What does the average of multiple graphs tell us?

The average of multiple graphs can tell us the general trend or pattern across all of the data. It can also help us identify any outliers or anomalies in the data. Additionally, comparing the average of multiple graphs can provide insights into the relationships between different variables.

What are the limitations of using the average of multiple graphs?

One limitation of using the average of multiple graphs is that it assumes that all of the data points are equally important. This may not be the case if certain data points have more significance or weight in the overall data. Additionally, averaging may also mask any variations or differences between the individual graphs.

How can the average of multiple graphs be used in scientific research?

The average of multiple graphs can be used in scientific research to analyze and compare data from different experiments or studies. It can also be used to identify patterns or trends across different data sets, which can then be used to make predictions or draw conclusions. Additionally, the average of multiple graphs can be used to support or refute hypotheses in various scientific fields.