1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average Potential Difference

1. Apr 22, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Average Potential Difference

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The voltage across the terminals of an ac power supply varies with time according to V=V_0\cos(\omega t). The voltage amplitude is V_0 = 46.0 V

From the prior question, I already figured out that the root-mean-square potential difference is 32.5. V

Question What is the average potential difference V_{{\rm a}{\rm v}} between the two terminals of the power supply?

2. Relevant equations

[tex]V_{rms}=V/\sqrt{2}[/tex]
    [tex]V_{rms}=Vcos(\omega*t+\varphi)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

At first I thought that the average and the rms was the same thing, but now I can't figure it out. Does it involve finding current?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2008 #2
    The average is just like the rms, except you don't square before integrating and you do not take a square root afterwards. It does noet involve finding current

4. Apr 22, 2008 #3
    Hm, I don't understand. Where would you be integrating?

5. Apr 22, 2008 #4
    when calculating the average. How did you calculate V_rms? You integrate over one full period of the AC and divide by the length of the period.

6. Apr 22, 2008 #5
    All I did to calculate V_rms was taking V divided by square root of 2, since for any sinusoidally varying quantity the rms value is always [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex] the value. I didn't integrate at all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?