Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average power and diodes.

1. Apr 12, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Average power and diodes.

I have this question. If a diode were connected to a circuit with an alternating current and there was a resistor was connected to it, will the average power change? For example, if we take the following values,

V max = 6.0 V
    Resistance = 100 ohms,

the Average power will be 0.18 W and the max power 0.36W. When we plot the graph with respect to power dissipated by the resistor with a diode connected, we get a sinusoidal graph with it's second half cycle at a null value and it's first half at a peak value of 3.6W (assuming that the diode is forward biased at the start).

I'm not very sure how to calculate max power using graphs; but is the average power still 0.18W?

I thank you for your help in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2008 #2
    Anyway, I think I solved it. Thanking the Half Rectified wave to be H and the original unrectified full wave to be F, the mean power of the half rectified wave should be half that of the full wave.

<[tex]P_{H}[/tex]> = 1/2<[tex]P_{F}[/tex]>
    = 1/2([tex]P_{o}[/tex]/2)
    = 1/4 [tex]P_{o}[/tex]

where [tex]P_{o}[/tex] is the max power.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?