1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average power in series LCR

1. Sep 17, 2014 #1
    Hello!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A sinusoidal voltage of peak 283 V and frequency 50 Hz is applied to a series LCR circuit in when R = 3ohm, L is 25.48mH and C is 796 microF. Find the power dissipated in the circuit.

The book says,
    Power = I^2 R
    Where I = rms current.
    Now, I = 283/5 [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] = 40 A
    So, power = 40×40×3 = 4800 W.

Why didn't they include 'the power factor' while calculating the power?
    Also, isn't what they have calculated is a special case? I mean they've taken Z = R, ( because power = I^2 Z cos θ) which is only possible at resonance. (Cosθ = power factor, which they have taken as 1)
    This can't be a general solution, right?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2014 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The reactive elements (capacitor, inductor) do not dissipate power, as the phase difference between the voltage and current is ±90 degrees on them, so cosθ=0. Only the resistances dissipate power, where a power factor is 1.

To get the dissipated power, calculate the rms current Irms=Urms/|Z| and P = Irms2R.

ehild

4. Sep 18, 2014 #3
    That means cosθ for a series rlc circuit is always 1?

5. Sep 18, 2014 #4
    No .

P = irms2Zcosθ , where Z is the impedance of the circuit and cosθ is the power factor . But Zcosθ = R . So we have P = irms2R .

This is essentially what ehild has explained that power is dissipated only within the resistor .

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted