Average power in series LCR

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of power in a series LCR circuit. The book uses the formula Power = I^2 R, where I is the rms current, to calculate the power dissipated in the circuit. However, the power factor is not included in the calculation. This is because reactive elements (capacitor, inductor) do not dissipate power and have a phase difference of ±90 degrees, making the power factor 0. The dissipated power can be calculated by finding the rms current and using the formula P = Irms^2R. It is also noted that the calculated power is a special case and may not be applicable in all situations. The conversation ends with a question about the power factor
Prashasti
Hello!

Homework Statement

A sinusoidal voltage of peak 283 V and frequency 50 Hz is applied to a series LCR circuit in when R = 3ohm, L is 25.48mH and C is 796 microF. Find the power dissipated in the circuit.

The book says,
Power = I^2 R
Where I = rms current.
Now, I = 283/5 [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] = 40 A
So, power = 40×40×3 = 4800 W.

Why didn't they include 'the power factor' while calculating the power?
Also, isn't what they have calculated is a special case? I mean they've taken Z = R, ( because power = I^2 Z cos θ) which is only possible at resonance. (Cosθ = power factor, which they have taken as 1)
This can't be a general solution, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Prashasti said:
Hello!

Why didn't they include 'the power factor' while calculating the power?
Also, isn't what they have calculated is a special case? I mean they've taken Z = R, ( because power = I^2 Z cos θ) which is only possible at resonance. (Cosθ = power factor, which they have taken as 1)
This can't be a general solution, right?

The reactive elements (capacitor, inductor) do not dissipate power, as the phase difference between the voltage and current is ±90 degrees on them, so cosθ=0. Only the resistances dissipate power, where a power factor is 1.

To get the dissipated power, calculate the rms current Irms=Urms/|Z| and P = Irms2R.

ehild

Likes 1 person
That means cosθ for a series rlc circuit is always 1?

Prashasti said:
That means cosθ for a series rlc circuit is always 1?

No .

P = irms2Zcosθ , where Z is the impedance of the circuit and cosθ is the power factor . But Zcosθ = R . So we have P = irms2R .

This is essentially what ehild has explained that power is dissipated only within the resistor .

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

Hello! Thank you for sharing your question. I can provide some insights on the calculation of average power in a series LCR circuit.

Firstly, the formula used in the book, P = I^2 R, is the general formula for calculating power in any given circuit. This is because power is the product of current (I) and voltage (V), and in a series circuit, the current is the same at all points. Therefore, the power dissipated in each component is simply the current squared (I^2) multiplied by the resistance of that component (R). This formula holds true for both AC and DC circuits.

In this specific example, the power factor is not included in the calculation because the circuit is assumed to be purely resistive, meaning that there is no inductive or capacitive reactance present. This assumption is made because the frequency of the applied voltage is equal to the resonant frequency of the circuit (50 Hz), resulting in a power factor of 1. In other words, the circuit is operating at resonance, where the inductive and capacitive reactances cancel each other out, leaving only the resistance.

However, in a real-world scenario, the power factor may not be equal to 1 and must be taken into account when calculating the power dissipated in the circuit. In such cases, the formula for average power becomes P = I^2 R cos θ, where θ is the phase angle between the voltage and current. This is known as the power factor correction formula.

In conclusion, the calculation provided in the book is a valid solution for this specific scenario where the circuit is operating at resonance and the power factor is equal to 1. However, in a real-world scenario, the power factor must be considered to obtain an accurate calculation for the power dissipated in the circuit. I hope this explanation helps. Keep up the good work in your studies!

1. What is the formula for calculating average power in series LCR?

In a series LCR circuit, the formula for calculating average power is P = Vrms × Irms, where Vrms is the root mean square voltage and Irms is the root mean square current.

2. How does average power in series LCR change with frequency?

As the frequency of the AC current in a series LCR circuit increases, the average power also increases. This is because at higher frequencies, the reactances of the inductor and capacitor decrease, allowing more current to flow through the circuit and increasing the power dissipated.

3. What happens to average power in series LCR when the resistance is increased?

If the resistance in a series LCR circuit is increased, the average power will decrease. This is because with a higher resistance, more energy is lost as heat and less is transferred to the load.

4. What is the relationship between average power and quality factor in series LCR?

The quality factor (Q) in a series LCR circuit is a measure of how "ideal" the circuit is, and it is related to the ratio of reactance to resistance. The higher the Q, the lower the resistance and therefore the higher the average power that can be delivered to the load.

5. Can the average power in a series LCR circuit ever be negative?

No, the average power in a series LCR circuit can never be negative. This is because the power dissipated in a circuit is always positive and cannot be "used up" or "lost". Any energy that is not transferred to the load is stored in the inductor or capacitor and is eventually returned to the circuit.