Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average power of A.C.

1. Apr 15, 2014 #1

kelvin490

Gold Member

We know that the average power of A.C. is IVcosθ, where I and V are RMS and θ is the phase difference. I would like to ask in common application, such as power of a lamp, computer, fan etc. Can we simply assume the phase difference is zero and get a fairly accurate answer? Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2014 #2
    I'm sure others with more knowledge in this area will post a better response. Power Factor for switching power supplies that qualify for UL or other certs control the PF so essentially (0 - EDIT, this should be 1) for that one. Incandescent light bulbs are for the most part (0 - EDIT this should be 1) as well. Fans or other motor appliances are probably not. There are/were devices that are sold to view the power factor (watt wizzard I think was one) and other devices that are suppose to compensate to yield lower usage for those devices.

So to answer your question, no I don't think you can assume a power factor of (0 - EDIT this should be 1) because one location may have many fans, or other devices that might cause a 5 - 10% difference. However, if your location is just electronics and lights you might be able to assume PF of (0 - EDIT this should be 1).

Others will chime in and provide a better answer.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  4. Apr 15, 2014 #3

Baluncore

Science Advisor

The power factor of a resistive or a perfectly corrected load is 1.00
    The PF of a lossless inductor or capacitor is zero.

You can assume that all higher power equipment will have a PF better than 0.8
    Very small items may have a worse PF but they will only be using small amounts of AC current.

So you can assume PF is 0.9 +/– 0.1 for any approved electrical product.
    You can only assume for filament lamps and resistive element heaters that PF = 1.00

5. Apr 15, 2014 #4
    Baluncore, thank you. Many years since I used PF remember the concepts, but the number slipped my mind. I should have looked up. Thank you for the correction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted