Average power of AC circuit

In summary, the problem is asking to express voltage and current as phasors and calculate the average power being supplied. The voltage and current are given in peak values, so they need to be converted to RMS values by multiplying them by 0.707. The power factor can then be calculated by finding the cosine of the angle difference between the two phasors. The average power can be calculated using the formula (Vm*Im)/2 * cos(theta), where Vm and Im are the peak values of voltage and current, respectively. The angle difference between the two phasors is 30 degrees.
ineedmunchies
Ok I've been given a problem that I've got stuck on, I was wondering if anyone here could help.

Q:
v(t) = 100 sin(200t+20^)
i(t) = 10 sin(200t-10^)
Express voltage and current as phasors, and calculate the average power being supplied. (I've used ^ to denote degrees)

The phasors part is pretty simple I think, the voltage is a line 100 in magnitude and 20 degrees positive of the x axis, and the current is of 10 magnitude and 10 degrees negative of the x axis.

phasor.jpg

Its the power bit that I don't get, should I break these down into complex form and multiply them that way?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The phasors part is pretty simple I think, the voltage is a line 100 in magnitude and 20 degrees positive of the x axis, and the current is of 10 magnitude and 10 degrees negative of the x axis.

Be careful here. v(t) and i(t) are given in peak values. Phasors are represented in RMS or effective values.

To find ave. power, you need to find the power factor. Which is the cos(theta), where theta is the angle difference between the i(t) and v(t).

Pave = (Vm*Im)/2 * cos(theta)
Where Vm and I am are the peak values of v(t) and i(t), respectively.

Oh I forgot about them being in rms, that means they should be .707 times the peak values, because they are sinusoidal?

And theta would be 30 degrees?

Oh I forgot about them being in rms, that means they should be .707 times the peak values, because they are sinusoidal?
Correct.
And theta would be 30 degrees?
Correct also.
Dont forget that cosine of a positive and negative theta gives the same result. So it won't matter which angle you subtracted from what.

What does the average power of an AC circuit represent?

The average power of an AC (alternating current) circuit represents the average rate at which energy is transferred from the circuit's source to its load over a complete cycle.

How is the average power of an AC circuit calculated?

The average power of an AC circuit is calculated by taking the product of the RMS (root mean square) voltage and the RMS current of the circuit. It can also be calculated by taking the integral of the instantaneous power over one cycle divided by the time period of that cycle.

What is the difference between average power and instantaneous power in an AC circuit?

Average power is the average rate of energy transfer over a complete cycle, while instantaneous power is the power at a specific point in time. In an AC circuit, the instantaneous power is constantly fluctuating, but the average power remains constant.

How does the power factor affect the average power of an AC circuit?

The power factor, which represents the ratio of real power to apparent power in a circuit, can affect the average power of an AC circuit. A lower power factor means that the circuit is less efficient, resulting in a lower average power output.

Why is it important to calculate the average power of an AC circuit?

Calculating the average power of an AC circuit is important because it allows us to determine the efficiency and effectiveness of the circuit. It also helps in understanding the energy consumption and cost associated with the circuit, as well as identifying any potential issues or improvements that can be made to the circuit.