1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average power on a resistor

1. Jan 26, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    $$R=5 \Omega , C =50 \mu F, L=5 mH$$ are connected in series on voltage source $$u(t)=150 \sin (1000t)+100 \sin(2000t)$$. Find the average power on resistor R.

2. Relevant equations $$
    P=\frac{U^2}{R} $$,
    $$ U_{ef}= \sqrt{ \frac{1}{T} \int_{0}^{T} u^2(t) dt } $$

3. The attempt at a solution

I got that rms of u(t) is 127.48 , and now i am not sure which omega should I use to calculate Xc and XL.
    The period of function u(t) is $$2 \pi/1000$$, so that implies I should use $$\omega=1000$$ but I can't get the correct solution. (I don't get correct solution when I use 2000 either). I am obviously doing something , can you help?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2016 #2

cnh1995

Homework Helper

I believe superposition theorem will be helpful here.

4. Jan 26, 2016 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

What result value are you getting? Show your calculation. Your rms value for the voltage source looks good (but be sure to include units when you show a result!).

P.S.: Use a capital omega for ohms: \Omega yields ##\Omega## in LaTeX.

5. Jan 26, 2016 #4
    For omega=1000, I get Xc= -j20 ohms and XL= j5 ohms . So the impedance is Z=5-j15. Now I need to find the current. Do I just use rms value of voltage and divide it by |Z|?
    I did that, got I=8.06 A, and then power is 325 W, but that's wrong.

6. Jan 26, 2016 #5

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Heed @cnh1995 's clue. You can use superposition here to work out the individual contributions of the two source voltage components.

It's a simple matter to write the rms values for the two source voltages directly from their definitions. Then find the individual rms currents due to each (using ##I = u/|Z|## as you've written, where here u is the individual rms voltage of a source), and then power dissipated by the resistor due to each. Then sum the results.

7. Jan 26, 2016 #6
    Thank you very much, I get the correct result.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted