1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average Power

1. May 14, 2007 #1

ssb

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A sled is being pulled along a horizontal surface by a horizontal force F of magnitude 600 N. Starting from rest, the sled speeds up with acceleration 0.08 m/s^2 for 1 minute.

Find the average power P created by force F.

2. Relevant equations

P = Fs/T

3. The attempt at a solution

So I need to first find displacement of movement. If y = .08x^2, then at 60 seconds y = 288 .... so displacement is 288 right?

The force is 600 N
    so since P = Fs/T, then (600*288)/60 should be my answer right? Also would this answer be in watts? I know that 1 joule/second = 1 watt.

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2007 #2
    Apart from a tiny factor of 1/2, everything else is right. Yes, the SI unit of power is the Watt. Can you find where you missed the factor? :wink:

4. May 14, 2007 #3

ssb

So y = (1/2).08x^2

this would yield a displacement of 144
    so then (600*144)/60

would be a better answer?

Also this answer is in joules so I need to multiply the whole thing by 60 to yield watts right?

so my final answer in watts should be 600*144 ????

5. May 14, 2007 #4
    That is the correct answer.

As I said, there was nothing wrong with your first answer apart from that 0.5. It is Newtons.metre/second -> Joule/second -> Watt. Moreover, why would you take the trouble of first dividing and then immediately multiplying by 60?

6. May 14, 2007 #5

ssb

ack! :blushing: :blushing: :redface:

Thanks buddy! I appreciate the help!

7. Jul 15, 2007 #6
    is power factor good or bad? Why?

Im just not sure!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?