Power Dissipation in a Resistor: Calculate Average

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the average power dissipated in a resistor with a current of i=8sinwt and a voltage of v=200sinwt. The original equation used was p=ui=1600sin^2(wt), but it was not the correct one. The correct equation is Paverage=VrmsIrms, where cosφ=1 for a resistor. To calculate this, one can use root-mean-square or find the average value of the original equation by integrating it from 0 to 2π/ω and dividing by a certain value. Alternatively, one can write the original equation in terms of cosine and sine and the average will be obvious.
dortec
A resistor draws a current i=8sinwt at a voltage of v=200sinwt. Calculate the average power dissipated in the resistor.

What i did is p=ui = 1600sin^2 (wt) and i got stuck:P i don't think it's the right equation.. the answer should be 800W .. and that's nothing like it.
Could someone help me ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi dortec! :smile:

(have an omega: ω and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Hint: for a resistor, the power factor, cosφ, is 1, and so Paverage = VrmsIrms :wink:

Can you rephrase what you just said please. i actually didnt understand. wat's rms? and what do u mean by have an omega.. can u re-explain please:S

Hi dortec! :smile:

rms means "root-mean-square" … do you know what that is?

(if you don't, you can get the same result by finding the average value of sin2ωt, which you get by integrating it from 0 to 2π)

(and where you typed w, I assumed you would have preferred ω. :wink:)

nope i don't know what root-mean-square:S and my bad for the omega thing:P.. can u please show me how to solve it?

ok, never mind if you haven't done root-mean-square …

just find the average value of your original P(t) = 1600sin2ωt, which you get by integrating it from 0 to 2π/ω, and dividing by … ? :smile:

(alternatively, just write 1600sin2ωt in terms of cos2ωt and/or sin2ωt, and then the average is obvious :wink:)

1. What is power dissipation in a resistor?

Power dissipation in a resistor refers to the amount of heat that is generated when an electrical current passes through a resistor and is converted into thermal energy.

2. How is power dissipation calculated in a resistor?

Power dissipation in a resistor is calculated using the formula P = I^2 * R, where P is power dissipation in watts, I is the current passing through the resistor in amperes, and R is the resistance of the resistor in ohms.

3. What is the average power dissipation in a resistor?

The average power dissipation in a resistor refers to the average amount of heat that is generated over a certain period of time as the electrical current passes through the resistor. This can be calculated by taking the total power dissipation over the given time period and dividing it by the duration of time.

4. How does power dissipation affect the performance of a resistor?

Excessive power dissipation in a resistor can cause it to overheat, which can lead to a decrease in performance or even damage to the resistor. It is important to choose a resistor with a power rating that can handle the expected amount of power dissipation.

5. Can power dissipation in a resistor be reduced?

Yes, power dissipation in a resistor can be reduced by either decreasing the current passing through the resistor or by increasing the resistance of the resistor. This can be achieved by using a larger resistor or by using multiple resistors in series or parallel.