1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average power.

1. Oct 27, 2009 #1
    A resistor draws a current i=8sinwt at a voltage of v=200sinwt. Calculate the average power dissipated in the resistor.

What i did is p=ui = 1600sin^2 (wt) and i got stuck:P i dont think it's the right equation.. the answer should be 800W .. and that's nothing like it.
    Could someone help me ?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi dortec! :smile:

(have an omega: ω and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Hint: for a resistor, the power factor, cosφ, is 1, and so Paverage = VrmsIrms :wink:

4. Oct 27, 2009 #3
    Can you rephrase what you just said please. i actually didnt understand. wat's rms? and what do u mean by have an omega.. can u re-explain please:S

5. Oct 27, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi dortec! :smile:

rms means "root-mean-square" … do you know what that is?

(if you don't, you can get the same result by finding the average value of sin2ωt, which you get by integrating it from 0 to 2π)

(and where you typed w, I assumed you would have preferred ω. :wink:)

6. Oct 27, 2009 #5
    nope i dont know what root-mean-square:S and my bad for the omega thing:P.. can u please show me how to solve it?

7. Oct 27, 2009 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ok, never mind if you haven't done root-mean-square …

just find the average value of your original P(t) = 1600sin2ωt, which you get by integrating it from 0 to 2π/ω, and dividing by … ? :smile:

(alternatively, just write 1600sin2ωt in terms of cos2ωt and/or sin2ωt, and then the average is obvious :wink:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook