Average Rate of Change Using MVT for Derivatives

In summary, the average rate of change of the mass of a tumor during the fifth week of growth is 6.546 grams per week. This is found by using the Mean Value Theorem for Derivatives and calculating the average rate of change between the fourth and fifth week.
carlodelmundo

Homework Statement

The mass, m(t), in grams, of a tumor t weeks after it begins growing is given by m(t) = [te^t] / 80 .

What is the average rate of change, in grams per week, during the fifth week of growth?

a.) 2.730
b.) 3.412
c.) 6.189
d.) 6.546
e.) 11.131

Homework Equations

The Mean Value Theorem (MVT) for Derivatives states that the average rate of change between two points is the secant line between those two points given by the equation:

f ( b ) - f ( a ) / b - a

The Attempt at a Solution

Since m(t) is the mass of the tumor, and we're looking for average rate of change (the slope of the secant line), we must use the MVT for derivatives.

I performed the following calculation:

m (5) - m(0) / 5 - 0 ... but got 1.8555... not one of the answer choices.

Is my logic wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your logic is wrong. You want the average rate of change during the 5th week; i.e., between the start of week 4 and week 5. Try [m(5) - m(4)]/1. The value I get is one of those given.

Hi Mark44. Thank you for your quick response. Why do we find the average from the 4th week and 5th week instead of the 0th week and the 5th week? I'm having trouble grasping that concept.

I plugged it back in and get an answer of 6.546.

Thanks

What is the average rate of change, in grams per week, during the fifth week of growth?
This means from t = 4 weeks through t = 5 weeks.

What you did was the average rate of change for the first 5 weeks, not for the fifth week.

IIRC, 6.546 is what I got.

Thanks Mark

1. What is average rate of change?

Average rate of change is the average rate at which a function changes over a given interval. It is calculated by finding the slope of the secant line between two points on the graph of the function.

2. What is the Mean Value Theorem (MVT)?

The Mean Value Theorem (MVT) is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, then there exists at least one point on the interval where the instantaneous rate of change (derivative) is equal to the average rate of change.

3. How is the MVT used to find the average rate of change for derivatives?

The MVT is used to find the average rate of change for derivatives by first finding the derivative of the function. Then, we use the MVT to find a point on the interval where the derivative is equal to the average rate of change. This point can then be used to calculate the average rate of change.

4. Why is the MVT important in calculus?

The MVT is important in calculus because it allows us to connect the concepts of instantaneous rate of change (derivative) and average rate of change. It also provides a way to calculate the average rate of change for a function without having to use the limit definition of derivative.

5. What are some real-world applications of average rate of change using MVT for derivatives?

Some real-world applications of average rate of change using MVT for derivatives include calculating average velocity and acceleration in physics, determining average growth rates in economics, and finding average rates of reaction in chemistry. It can also be used to analyze the average rate of change in stock prices or to estimate average rates of change in population growth.