Calculate Average Shear Stress in Glue Bond - 50kN, 80mm

In summary, the average shear stress developed in the glue bond between the top and bottom plates is 1.56 MPa, with the force of 25kN acting on each glued surface. This is determined by balancing the 50kN force on the left end with the two 25kN forces on the right end, and calculating the force needed to balance the 25kN force on the top plate.
Ry122
I need to determine the average shear stress developed in the glue bond.
P=50kN and P2=80mm
http://users.on.net/~rohanlal/Untitled99.jpg

My attempt:
stress=force/area
stress=(50/(200*80))+((50/2)/(200*80))*2
Is this correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ry122 said:
I need to determine the average shear stress developed in the glue bond.
P=50kN and P2=80mm
http://users.on.net/~rohanlal/Untitled99.jpg

My attempt:
stress=force/area
stress=(50/(200*80))+((50/2)/(200*80))*2
Is this correct?
No, the 50 kN force on the left (sandwiched) plate is balanced by the two forces, on the top and bottom plate. How much shear force does each glued surface (top and bottom) see? Don't forget to use proper units of stress.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I have to subtract the shearing stress from the two forces?
Is this correct then?
stress=(50/(200*80))-((50/2)/(200*80))*2 Mpa

No, you are not looking correctly at the forces involved. The plates are in equilibrium (sum of forces in x direction =0). The 50kN applied force at the left end, pointing left, is balnced by the two 25kN forces at the right end, pointing right. This is given, and is in accord with Newton's first law. Now draw a free body diagram of the top plate only...isolate it and examine the forces on it. There is a 25kN force acting at the right end of this top plate, pointing right. The top plate is in equilibrium, so you know that all the forces acting on the top plate must add to 0. So what must the force of the glued surface be on the left end of the top plate, to balance the 25kN force? Once you determine that force, the avg shear stress is that force divided by the shear area you have noted. The same applies for the bottom plate.

So is it just
stress=25/(200*80)

Ry122 said:
So is it just
stress=25/(200*80)
Yes, correct, that is the average shear stress in the glue bond on the top, and it is also the average shear stress in the glue bond on the bottom. But watch your units! Your result is in kN/mm^2, you might want to convert it to Pascals (N/m^2).

is it currently in mega pascals?

Ry122 said:
is it currently in mega pascals?
Looks like it's giga-pascals. I work in USA units of pounds per square inch, such that I don't get a good feel for the SI units, and there are so many decimals to confuse you. 25kN/16000mm^2 = .00156kN/mm^2, which is .00156 GPa, or 1.56 MPa, if I did the math right.

1. How is the average shear stress in a glue bond calculated?

The average shear stress in a glue bond is calculated by dividing the force applied (50kN) by the cross-sectional area of the bond (80mm).

2. What is the unit of measurement for average shear stress in a glue bond?

The unit of measurement for average shear stress in a glue bond is typically expressed in Pascals (Pa) or Newtons per square meter (N/m^2).

3. Why is it important to calculate the average shear stress in a glue bond?

Calculating the average shear stress in a glue bond is important because it allows us to determine if the bond is strong enough to withstand the applied force. It also helps us understand the performance and durability of the glue bond.

4. What other factors can affect the average shear stress in a glue bond?

Other factors that can affect the average shear stress in a glue bond include the type and quality of the adhesive used, the surface preparation of the materials being bonded, and the environmental conditions (such as temperature and humidity) during bonding.

5. Can the average shear stress in a glue bond be too high?

Yes, if the average shear stress in a glue bond is too high, it can lead to failure of the bond or damage to the materials being bonded. It is important to ensure that the average shear stress is within the acceptable range for the specific materials and application.