How Fast Must You Drive to Average 22 km/h Over 24 km?

In summary, average speed is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken, while average velocity is calculated by dividing the displacement by the total time taken. They can be the same if an object travels in a straight line with no change in direction. The direction of average velocity is determined by the direction of the displacement, and it is a vector quantity. Average speed and velocity are different from instantaneous speed and velocity, as the latter refers to the speed and velocity at a specific moment in time.
faustud.
I have a question for anyone willing to help that I can't seem to figure out along with quite a few of my classmates:

-You jog at 9.5 km/h for 8.0 km, then you jump into a car and drive an additional 16 km. With what average speed must you drive your car if your average speed for the entire 24 km is to be 22 km/h?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show some work. How about you start by telling us what you know about average speed and average velocity.

I ended up figuring it out.

1. What is the difference between average speed and average velocity?

Average speed is the total distance traveled divided by the total time taken, while average velocity is the displacement (change in position) divided by the total time taken.

2. How is average speed and velocity calculated?

Average speed is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken, while average velocity is calculated by dividing the displacement by the total time taken.

3. Can average speed and velocity be the same?

Yes, if an object travels in a straight line with no change in direction, its average speed and velocity will be the same.

4. How is the direction of average velocity determined?

The direction of average velocity is determined by the direction of the displacement. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

5. Is average speed and velocity the same as instantaneous speed and velocity?

No, average speed and velocity are calculated over a longer period of time, while instantaneous speed and velocity refer to the speed and velocity at a specific moment in time.