In summary, the conversation discusses two attempts to calculate the mean velocity in a gas of spin-1/2 particles at T=0. One attempt using the relation <ϵ>=3/5ϵF and the formula for kinetic energy does not give the correct answer due to the scaling of velocity with √ϵ. The other attempt uses the Fermi statistic f(ϵ) and integrates to find the mean velocity, but f(ϵ) is not a simple probability distribution and may not be accurate at T=0. The problem statement is to prove that the mean speed is 3/4 times the Fermi velocity.
Silicon-Based
Homework Statement
Prove that the mean speed ##<u>## in a gas of ##N## spin-1/2 particles at ##T = 0## is ##<u> = \frac{3}{4}u_F##, where ##u_F## is the Fermi velocity
Relevant Equations
##f(\epsilon) = \frac{1}{e^{\beta(\epsilon-\mu)}-1}##
My first most obvious attempt was to use the relation ##<\epsilon> = \frac{3}{5}\epsilon_F## and the formula for kinetic energy, but this doesn't give the right answer and I'm frankly not sure why that's the case. My other idea was to use the Fermi statistic ##f(\epsilon)## which in this case should be ##f(\epsilon)=2## for all ##\epsilon \leq \epsilon_F##, and then integrate somehow to find the mean velocity, but it isn't obvious to me what to integrate as ##f(\epsilon)## isn't a simple probability distribution.

Physics news on Phys.org
Silicon-Based said:
My first most obvious attempt was to use the relation ##<\epsilon> = \frac{3}{5}\epsilon_F## and the formula for kinetic energy, but this doesn't give the right answer and I'm frankly not sure why that's the case.
It doesn't work because of the fact that velocity scales as ##\sqrt{\epsilon}##,
$$
\langle \sqrt{x} \rangle \neq \sqrt{\langle x \rangle}
$$

Silicon-Based said:
My other idea was to use the Fermi statistic ##f(\epsilon)## which in this case should be ##f(\epsilon)=2## for all ##\epsilon \leq \epsilon_F##, and then integrate somehow to find the mean velocity, but it isn't obvious to me what to integrate as ##f(\epsilon)## isn't a simple probability distribution.
Generally speaking, if you wanted to calculate ##\langle x \rangle## for a Fermi gas, what equation would you set up?

Silicon-Based said:
Problem Statement: Prove that the mean speed ##<u>## in a gas of ##N## spin-1/2 particles at ##T = 0## is ##<u> = \frac{3}{4}u_F##, where ##u_F## is the Fermi velocity
Relevant Equations: ##f(\epsilon) = \frac{1}{e^{\beta(\epsilon-\mu)}-1}##

f(ϵ)f(ϵ)f(\epsilon) isn't a simple probability distribution.

Are you sure about this? What happens to f at T=0?

1. What is a Fermi gas?

A Fermi gas is a type of gas composed of fermions, which are particles with half-integer spin, such as electrons, protons, and neutrons. These particles obey the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that no two fermions can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously.

2. How is the average speed of molecules in a Fermi gas calculated?

The average speed of molecules in a Fermi gas can be calculated using the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution, which describes the distribution of speeds for particles in a gas. This distribution takes into account the temperature, mass, and number of particles in the gas.

3. Does the average speed of molecules in a Fermi gas change with temperature?

Yes, the average speed of molecules in a Fermi gas is directly proportional to the temperature of the gas. As the temperature increases, the average speed of the molecules also increases.

4. How does the average speed of molecules in a Fermi gas compare to that of a classical gas?

The average speed of molecules in a Fermi gas is typically lower than that of a classical gas at the same temperature. This is because fermions are subject to the Pauli exclusion principle, which restricts their movement and results in a lower average speed.

5. What is the significance of knowing the average speed of molecules in a Fermi gas?

The average speed of molecules in a Fermi gas is an important quantity in understanding the behavior and properties of fermionic systems. It is also relevant in various fields such as condensed matter physics, nuclear physics, and astrophysics, where Fermi gases are commonly studied.