1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average Speed/Velocity

1. Aug 29, 2011 #1
    A honeybee leaves the hive, flies in a straight line to a flower 6 km away in 10 min, and then takes 10 minutes to return (also in a straight line).

a.) Please find the distance travelled and displacement for the entire trip:
    distance travelled:
    I know the distance total is 12 km

displacement: 0

b.) Please find the average speed and average velocity for the entire trip:
    average speed:
    This is where I get confused. Total distance/rate of change in meters = Average speed. This would mean the speed is undefined.

average velocity:
    Same confusion because the algebra would mean this question is undefined with a displacement of zero.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2011 #2
    Velocity = distance / time. As long as your time is not zero, it is defined. It's only the denominator that needs to be non-zero.

The average speed is the total distance traveled divided by total time spent traveling.

The velocity is similar, only it involves the total distance traveled in a direction - that is, the velocity on the way back will be the same as on the way out, only negative.

4. Aug 31, 2011 #3
    Thanks for the correction. I now see that I had the formula wrong. So it is displacement over time, and time is 20 minutes. So velocity is 0/20 and speed is 12/20.

5. Sep 2, 2011 #4
    That is correct, but they're funny units (kilometres per minute?).

To change to a more physics-y, SI unit, try metres per second:

(12km*1000 m km^-1)/(12mins*60 s min^-1)

=12000/720= whatever it is.

6. Sep 2, 2011 #5
    They do that deliberately: that is phrase the question in unweildy units, this makes you render more applicable units by the simple fact of expedience.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook