Calculating Average Speed of a Road Trip

In summary, a person travels by car from one city to another with different constant speeds between pairs of cities. She drives for 15.0 min at 65.0 km/h, 20.0 min at 75.0 km/h and 60.0 min at 40.0 km/h, and spends 15.0 min eating lunch and buying gas. To determine the average speed for the trip, the total distance and total time need to be calculated. The total time is 110 minutes. The total distance can be found by using the formula average speed = total distance/total time. Displacement may also play a part in this problem, as discussed in the given thread.
toothpick09
A person travels by car from one city to another with different constant speeds between pairs of cities. She drives for 15.0 min at 65.0 km/h, 20.0 min at 75.0 km/h and 60.0 min at 40.0 km/h, and spends 15.0 min eating lunch and buying gas.

Determine the average speed for the trip.

I know average speed is total distance/total time but I am confused as to how to get the total distance. For the total time I added 15+20+60+15 and got 110 minutes. Would displacement play a part in this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org

To calculate the average speed for this road trip, you can use the formula: average speed = total distance / total time. In this case, the total time is 110 minutes.

To find the total distance, you can use the formula: distance = speed x time. So for the first leg of the trip, the distance would be 65 km/h x 15 min = 16.25 km. For the second leg, the distance would be 75 km/h x 20 min = 25 km. And for the third leg, the distance would be 40 km/h x 60 min = 40 km. The total distance for the trip would be 16.25 km + 25 km + 40 km = 81.25 km.

Therefore, the average speed for the trip would be 81.25 km / 110 min = 0.74 km/min, or approximately 44.4 km/h. Displacement does not play a role in this calculation, as average speed is only dependent on the total distance and total time, not the direction of travel.

1. How do I calculate the average speed of a road trip?

To calculate the average speed of a road trip, you will need to divide the total distance traveled by the total time taken. This will give you the average speed in units of distance per time, such as miles per hour or kilometers per hour.

2. What information do I need to calculate the average speed of a road trip?

You will need to know the total distance traveled and the total time taken for the road trip. This information can be obtained from a map or by keeping track of the distance and time during the trip.

3. Is average speed the same as average velocity?

No, average speed and average velocity are not the same. Average speed only takes into account the total distance traveled and total time taken, while average velocity also takes into account the direction of travel.

4. Can I use average speed to determine the length of a road trip?

Yes, you can use the average speed of a road trip to determine the length of the trip. By multiplying the average speed by the total time taken, you can calculate the total distance traveled.

5. How accurate is the average speed calculated for a road trip?

The accuracy of the average speed calculation for a road trip depends on the accuracy of the distance and time measurements. Make sure to use reliable sources for this information and double-check your calculations to ensure accuracy.