Average speed of person walking

In summary: When dividing the sum of the speeds by 2, you are assuming that the time taken for each leg of the journey is the same, which is not the case. This results in an incorrect average speed. In summary, the person's average speed over the entire trip is not simply the average of the two speeds, but rather the total distance over the total time taken. For part (b), the average velocity is 0 m/s because the person ends up in the same spot, but it is important to include units when expressing physical quantities. Dividing the sum of the speeds by 2 does not work because the time taken for each leg of the journey is different, resulting in an incorrect average speed.
babysnatcher
A person walks first at a constant speed of 5.00 m/s along a straight line from point A to point B and then back along the line from B to A at a constant speed of 3.00 m/s. What are (a) her average speed over the entire trip and (b) her average velocity over the entire trip?

I already solved this problem but I think I had to think way outside the box for it so I want to see an easier way to figure this out. For part "(b)", I just wrote as the answer 0 m/s because she ends up in the same spot. I'm not going to talk about "(a)" because I do not want to disrupt peoples problem solving process. I also want to know if it is correct to use 0 m/s rather than 0; I think it is because 0 pressure is not the same as 0 m/s.

Another thing I want to know is why does dividing the sum of the speeds by 2 not work since it is average speed? I think it is because the it took longer travel at 3.0 m/s. And this affects the results because their are two different times to add to each other.

Physics news on Phys.org
babysnatcher said:
A person walks first at a constant speed of 5.00 m/s along a straight line from point A to point B and then back along the line from B to A at a constant speed of 3.00 m/s. What are (a) her average speed over the entire trip and (b) her average velocity over the entire trip?

I already solved this problem but I think I had to think way outside the box for it so I want to see an easier way to figure this out. For part "(b)", I just wrote as the answer 0 m/s because she ends up in the same spot. I'm not going to talk about "(a)" because I do not want to disrupt peoples problem solving process.

For part a, average speed is total distance over total time. The key to the problem is just setting the unknown distance between point A and point B as a variable "d". Use the relation distance = speed*time to find the time required to travel each leg of the journey (in terms of d). You will find that this variable d cancels out in the final answer for v.

babysnatcher said:
I also want to know if it is correct to use 0 m/s rather than 0; I think it is because 0 pressure is not the same as 0 m/s.

Yes, physical quantities have dimension, and you must include units when expressing them.

babysnatcher said:
Another thing I want to know is why does dividing the sum of the speeds by 2 not work since it is average speed? I think it is because the it took longer travel at 3.0 m/s. And this affects the results because their are two different times to add to each other.

Yes, your reasoning is correct.

1. What is the average speed of a person walking?

The average speed of a person walking is approximately 3.1 miles per hour. This may vary depending on factors such as age, gender, and physical condition.

2. How is the average speed of a person walking calculated?

The average speed of a person walking is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to walk that distance. For example, if a person walks 1 mile in 20 minutes, their average speed would be 3 miles per hour.

3. What affects a person's walking speed?

There are several factors that can affect a person's walking speed, including age, physical fitness, terrain, and weather conditions. A person's walking speed may also vary depending on whether they are walking uphill, downhill, or on a flat surface.

4. How does age impact a person's walking speed?

As people age, their walking speed tends to decrease due to factors such as muscle strength, joint flexibility, and balance. On average, older adults may walk at a speed of 2-3 miles per hour, while younger adults may walk at a speed of 3-4 miles per hour.

5. Is there a difference in walking speed between men and women?

Studies have shown that on average, men tend to walk faster than women. This may be due to physiological differences, such as muscle mass and leg length. However, individual factors such as fitness level and age can also play a role in a person's walking speed regardless of gender.