Calculating Average Speed: A Problem-Solving Dilemma

In summary, the problem is asking for the average speed of a paper delivery boy who rides 2 miles at 12mph to deliver papers and then returns 2 miles at 10mph to get home. There is not enough information given in the problem to accurately calculate the average speed, but the general approach is to find the total time and distance traveled, and then divide the total distance by the total time to get the average speed. The options given for the answer are 10.9mph, 11mph, 11.1mph, and not enough information. By using the formula distance = speed X time, the time can be calculated and then used to find the average speed. However, in this problem, the given values
physicsvirgin
I've got a little trouble here with average speed.

The specific problem is:

A paper delivery boy rides his bike 2 miles out to a farmhouse at 12mph, delivers the paper, then travels back 2 miles at 10mph to get home. What was the delivery boy's average speed during this trip? (Hint: there are two trips here!)
a) 10.9mph b) 11mph c) 11.1mph d) not enough info

Here's my trouble...the problem doesn't give me any information on how long it took the boy to deliver the paper on either trip. That makes me want to choose "D" because average speed is distance covered/time interval. However, the fact that there is a "hint" makes me want to reconsider.

So, I (as a novice in physics) divides 12 and 2 to get 6 minutes on the first trip, and 2 and 10 to get 5 minutes on the second trip. That makes 11 minutes to go 4 miles all together, but the result of that isn't one of the choices when I divide them!

So where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are calculating the time incorrectly. Distance = speed X time. So time = Distance/speed.

Are you sure that it takes 6 minutes on the first trip? Check how you worked out the time taken for the trip. Remember that the time taken is the distance/speed and then remember what units the measurements are in.

However your general approach of working out the total time and the total distance is correct.

Okay, how about 11.1?

I have done as you suggest - divide 2/12 and 2/10, add them together; get 0.36 and then divide 4/0.36 = 11.1 mph?!

Since the answers are so close, do not round off until the very last step! (Treat the given values as exact.) So take the time as 11/30 of an hour.

1. What is average speed and how is it calculated?

Average speed is a measure of how fast an object moves over a certain distance in a specific amount of time. It is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total amount of time it took to cover that distance.

2. Why is calculating average speed important?

Calculating average speed is important because it allows us to compare the speeds of different objects or movements. It also helps us understand how long it will take to cover a certain distance at a certain speed.

3. What are the units used to express average speed?

Average speed is typically expressed in distance divided by time, such as meters per second, miles per hour, or kilometers per hour.

4. How do you calculate average speed for an object that changes its speed?

To calculate the average speed for an object that changes its speed, you would need to measure the distance traveled and the time it took to cover that distance at different points during the movement. Then, you can use the formula for average speed to find the overall average.

5. Can average speed be greater than the fastest speed of the object?

No, average speed cannot be greater than the fastest speed of the object. Average speed is a measure of the overall speed of an object, so it cannot exceed the maximum speed achieved by the object.