Calculating Average Thrust Force for Airplane Take-off

In summary, the conversation discusses the take-off speed and weight of an airplane, and how to calculate the average thrust force exerted by its engines. The given information includes the take-off speed of 250 miles per hour and the weight of 110,000 kilograms. The conversation also mentions the use of formulas for weight, force, and acceleration. However, it is noted that the question is poorly worded and may be missing necessary information. The expert suggests clarifying the question and recommends a good textbook for further study.
BlueOwl

Homework Statement

The take-off speed of a given airplane is 250 mi/h. If the take-off weight is 110,000 Kg, what is average the thrust force exerted by the engines?

Homework Equations

w=mg ,F=ma , F=mW

The Attempt at a Solution

the mi/h confuses me and I don't know which formula to use and is the average thrust force the net force?

Physics news on Phys.org
mi/h is miles per hour. Think of it as distance/time, ie, velocity.

W(eight) is a force; it is your mass multiplied by the acceleration of the body you are standing on. On this case it is earth; so acceleration due to g(ravity) = 9.81 m/s.

I hope it is clear then that the Weight force F = mW of the aircraft is

9.81 * 110000 = 1,079,100 N, or 1079 kN.

Which I am pretty sure must be the answer...but to be honest the question is rather poorly written. Is that how it appears at in the textbook/whatever? Planes don't take off vertically because of the horizontal force applied by the Engines, as you probably well already know...

Let me know if there's anything you didn't get or would like clearing up:)

rabbitweed said:
mi/h is miles per hour. Think of it as distance/time, ie, velocity.

W(eight) is a force; it is your mass multiplied by the acceleration of the body you are standing on. On this case it is earth; so acceleration due to g(ravity) = 9.81 m/s.

I hope it is clear then that the Weight force F = mW of the aircraft is

9.81 * 110000 = 1,079,100 N, or 1079 kN.

Which I am pretty sure must be the answer...but to be honest the question is rather poorly written. Is that how it appears at in the textbook/whatever? Planes don't take off vertically because of the horizontal force applied by the Engines, as you probably well already know...

Let me know if there's anything you didn't get or would like clearing up:)

where does the 250 miles per hour come into the formula though? or it doesn't ?

I suspect that you left out some info? Perhaps the length of the runway?

And this certainly is a poorly worded question. For instance, kg is a unit of mass, not weight. If this is verbatim out of your physics book, then I feel sorry for you, and I hope we can be of some service.

BlueOwl said:
where does the 250 miles per hour come into the formula though? or it doesn't ?

It doesn't seem to at all. This is rather common in physics questions; give you quantities you don't need to confuse you. But with that question it really is hard to tell what on Earth they're asking.

Can I ask; are you doing this for school, or self-study? If the latter I'd be happy to recommend a good textbook.

1. How is average thrust force calculated for airplane take-off?

Average thrust force is calculated by dividing the total thrust force produced by the airplane's engines by the total weight of the airplane, including fuel, passengers, and cargo.

2. What factors affect the average thrust force during take-off?

The weight of the airplane, the type and number of engines, the air density, and the runway conditions can all affect the average thrust force during take-off.

3. Can the average thrust force change during the take-off process?

Yes, the average thrust force can change during take-off as the airplane gains speed and lift. The engines may need to adjust their thrust to maintain a steady rate of acceleration.

4. How does temperature affect the calculation of average thrust force?

Temperature affects air density, which in turn affects the amount of thrust needed for take-off. In warmer temperatures, the air is less dense and therefore the average thrust force may need to be higher to achieve the same level of acceleration.

5. Is there a standard average thrust force for all airplanes during take-off?

No, the average thrust force for take-off varies depending on the type and size of the airplane, the number of engines, and the weight of the airplane. In general, larger and heavier airplanes will require more average thrust force for take-off.