Average Torque on an Induced Current Loop

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a rectangular loop of wire suspended in a horizontal oscillating magnetic field. The first part of the problem involves finding the expression for the current in the wire, while the second part involves finding the average torque acting on the loop and the necessary angles to achieve equilibrium. The poster has solved the first part using Ohm's Law, but is seeking help with averaging the torque over a cycle by expressing the angle θ in terms of time t.
sengyanglim

Homework Statement

A rectanglar loop of wire encloses an area A, has a resistance R and a self-inductance L. The loop is suspended from the mid point of one of its sides and placed in a horizontal oscillating magnetic field B = B0 sin ωt such that the field makes an angle θ with the normal to the rectangle. Show that the current in the wire is:
I = −B0 Aω(R^2 + ω^2L^2)^-0.5 cos θcos(ωt − φ)
Find the average torque acting on the rectangle from the magnetic field and
the angles θ when equilibrium is achieved.

Homework Equations

T⃗ =N I A⃗ ×B⃗ =M⃗ ×B⃗

The Attempt at a Solution

I've solved the first part using Ohm's Law and got the expression for the current - I now have an expression for the torque at any point which I think is correct, given by
G= -0.5 B0^2 A^2 ω sin(2θ) cos(ωt − φ) sin(ωt) (R^2 + ω^2L^2)^-0.5
but I need to average this over a cycle - rather than averaging over θ or t alone, I think I need to express θ in terms of t and then average over t, but I don't know how to do this. Any help would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear poster,

Thank you for sharing your solution to the first part of the problem. It seems like you are on the right track for finding the average torque, but you are correct in needing to express θ in terms of t in order to properly average over a cycle. One way to do this is to use the relationship between the angle θ and the time t, which can be found by considering the oscillation of the magnetic field B as it changes over time. From there, you can substitute this expression for θ into your torque equation and then average over a cycle of the oscillation. I hope this helps and good luck with the rest of your solution!

1. What is Average Torque on an Induced Current Loop?

The average torque on an induced current loop is a measure of the rotational force that is exerted on the loop when an electric current is induced in it. This torque is caused by the interaction between the induced magnetic field and the external magnetic field.

2. How is Average Torque on an Induced Current Loop calculated?

The average torque on an induced current loop can be calculated by multiplying the strength of the induced magnetic field by the area of the loop and the sine of the angle between the magnetic field and the normal to the loop. This can be expressed as the equation: τ = BIA sin(θ), where τ is the torque, B is the magnetic field, I is the current, A is the area, and θ is the angle between the magnetic field and the normal to the loop.

3. What factors affect the Average Torque on an Induced Current Loop?

There are several factors that can affect the average torque on an induced current loop. These include the strength of the external magnetic field, the orientation of the loop with respect to the magnetic field, the size and shape of the loop, and the magnitude of the current in the loop.

4. What is the significance of Average Torque on an Induced Current Loop in practical applications?

The average torque on an induced current loop is an important concept in many practical applications, such as electric motors and generators. It helps in understanding the behavior of these devices and can be used to optimize their design and performance.

5. How can the Average Torque on an Induced Current Loop be increased?

The average torque on an induced current loop can be increased by increasing any of the factors that affect it, such as the strength of the external magnetic field, the current in the loop, or the size and orientation of the loop. Additionally, using materials with higher conductivity can also increase the average torque on the loop.