1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average Torque on an Induced Current Loop

1. Dec 15, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A rectanglar loop of wire encloses an area A, has a resistance R and a self-inductance L. The loop is suspended from the mid point of one of its sides and placed in a horizontal oscillating magnetic field B = B0 sin ωt such that the field makes an angle θ with the normal to the rectangle. Show that the current in the wire is:
    I = −B0 Aω(R^2 + ω^2L^2)^-0.5 cos θcos(ωt − φ)
    Find the average torque acting on the rectangle from the magnetic field and
    the angles θ when equilibrium is achieved.

2. Relevant equations
    T⃗ =N I A⃗ ×B⃗ =M⃗ ×B⃗

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've solved the first part using Ohm's Law and got the expression for the current - I now have an expression for the torque at any point which I think is correct, given by
    G= -0.5 B0^2 A^2 ω sin(2θ) cos(ωt − φ) sin(ωt) (R^2 + ω^2L^2)^-0.5
    but I need to average this over a cycle - rather than averaging over θ or t alone, I think I need to express θ in terms of t and then average over t, but I don't know how to do this. Any help would be much appreciated!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted