Finding Avg. True Stress for Annealed Copper

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the average true stress for annealed copper using a true stress curve. The true stress in the unstrained condition is found to be 12,000 psi, while the true stress in the strained condition is calculated using the equation strain = ln(l/l_o) with a value of .916. The strained condition's true stress is found to be 72,000 psi. The individual is trying to remember how to find the average of these two values since the graph is not a straight line and they only have two points. They are unsure of how to find the area under the curve in this scenario.
Jason03
Im working on a problem that I need to find the Average true stress...Im using a true stress curve for annealed copper...and I found the true stress in the unstrained condition to be 12,000 psi...and I found the true stress in the strained condition by using the equation:

strain = ln(l/l_o) which gave me .916...I than used the strain of 916 on the x-axis to find the true stress in the strained condition.(72,000 psi)...Im trying to remember how to find the average of the two values since I can't just add and divide by two since the graph is not a straight line...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How would I find the area under the curve when I only have two points?

I would like to commend you on your approach to finding the average true stress for annealed copper. Using a true stress curve and the equation for strain, you were able to determine the true stress in the unstrained and strained conditions. To find the average true stress, you will need to calculate the area under the curve between the two points (12,000 psi and 72,000 psi). This can be done by breaking the area into smaller sections and calculating the area of each section using the trapezoidal rule or by using numerical integration methods. Once you have the total area, you can divide it by the distance between the two points to find the average true stress. This method takes into account the non-linear nature of the curve and will give you a more accurate average. Keep up the good work!

1. How is average true stress calculated for annealed copper?

The average true stress for annealed copper is calculated by dividing the applied load by the original cross-sectional area of the material.

2. Why is it important to find the average true stress for annealed copper?

Finding the average true stress for annealed copper is important because it gives a more accurate representation of the material's strength and ability to withstand deformation. This information is crucial for designing and predicting the behavior of copper in various applications.

3. What is the difference between average true stress and engineering stress?

The main difference between average true stress and engineering stress is the method of calculation. Engineering stress is calculated by dividing the applied load by the current cross-sectional area, while average true stress takes into account the reduction in cross-sectional area due to deformation. Therefore, average true stress is a more accurate measure of the material's strength.

4. How does annealing affect the average true stress of copper?

Annealing, a process of heating and cooling a material, changes the microstructure of copper and makes it softer and more ductile. As a result, the average true stress of annealed copper is lower compared to the original unannealed material.

5. Can the average true stress of annealed copper be used to predict its behavior under different loading conditions?

Yes, the average true stress of annealed copper can be used to predict its behavior under different loading conditions, as it takes into account the material's ability to withstand deformation. However, it is important to note that other factors such as temperature and strain rate may also affect the material's behavior.