Average Upward Force on Amusement Ride Rider

In summary, the problem involves an extreme amusement park ride that accelerates its riders upward from rest at 50.0 m/s in 7 seconds. The rider weighs 1120N and the goal is to find the average upward force that the seat exerts on the rider. Using the equation ∑F=ma, the acceleration is first found to be 7.142857143 m/s^2. However, this is the average acceleration and not the force exerted by the seat. To find the force, the equation ∑F=mg is used, taking into account the rider's mass of 114.2857143 kg. The force exerted by the seat is then calculated to be 816.326530
randomss444

Homework Statement

An extreme amusement park ride accelerates its riders upward from rest at 50.0 m/s in 7 seconds. Ignoring air resistance, what average upward force does the seat exert on a rider who weights 1120N?

t = 7.00s
v = 50.0 m/s
Mass = 114.285
mg = 1120N

Homework Equations

∑F= ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure of that v is vi or vf.

I know my first step needs to be to solve for acceleration I just do not know how to do it given the information that I have.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
randomss444 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure of that v is vi or vf.

I know my first step needs to be to solve for acceleration I just do not know how to do it given the information that I have.

They told you this:

randomss444 said:
An extreme amusement park ride accelerates its riders upward from rest at 50.0 m/s in 7 seconds.

So the riders go from rest to a final velocity of 50 m/s in 7 seconds. (Initial is at rest, so vi=?)

Okay so how would I solve for vi?

could I use v = x/t to find then displacement

and then use x= 1/2(vi+vf)t to solve for vi

?

If do that then the answer comes out to be vi =2 and that does not seem right

Initial is at rest

In other words, intially it has zero velocity.

That being said, what's vi?

vi = initial velocity

Okay so we got
vf =50
vi=0
t =7.00s
m=114.2857143
mg=1120n

so we find acceleration by using vf=vi+at

50=0+7a
a=7.142857143

so we can find ∑E= ma

∑E = (114.2857143)(7.142857143)
∑E = 816.3265307

Is that right?
And would that be the final answer?

You're missing all your units in all of your calculations, but other than that the answer looks right. (Unless I made a mistake somewhere :S)

I'm not sure if that is correct. what you found is average acceleration from which you determined average net force, when instead you should be looking for is the average force exerted by the seat on the person. Are there other forces acting on the person you may have to consider?

The only one I can think of is gravity because it says to ignore air resistance.

So what should my next step be then and how do you find average force exerted by something?

randomss444 said:
The only one I can think of is gravity because it says to ignore air resistance.

So what should my next step be then and how do you find average force exerted by something?

gravity is always there, but since the person is sitting on the seat, there will something reaction wouldn't there?

What is the average upward force on an amusement ride rider?

The average upward force on an amusement ride rider is typically around 2-3 times their body weight.

How is the average upward force on an amusement ride rider calculated?

The average upward force on an amusement ride rider is calculated by using Newton's second law of motion, which states that force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration. The acceleration experienced by the rider is caused by the ride's movement and the force of gravity.

What factors affect the average upward force on an amusement ride rider?

The average upward force on an amusement ride rider can be affected by several factors, including the speed of the ride, the angle of the ride's incline, the force of gravity, and the rider's body weight and position.

Is the average upward force on an amusement ride rider the same for all types of rides?

No, the average upward force on an amusement ride rider can vary depending on the type of ride. For example, a roller coaster may have a higher average upward force due to the steep drops and sharp turns, while a carousel may have a lower average upward force due to its slower and more gentle movements.

Why is the average upward force on an amusement ride rider important?

The average upward force on an amusement ride rider is important for safety considerations. If the force is too high, it can cause discomfort or injury to the rider. It is also important in the design and engineering of amusement rides to ensure that they are safe and enjoyable for riders.