What is the Average Value of a Function?

In summary, the teacher is saying that the question is confusing because the description uses the word 'rate', but if you change it to 'something', the question is asking for the average of that 'something' rather than the rate of change of it. The formula given calculates the average rate of change of a function, but the question is asking for the average of the function itself. Also, the function name is r, not f, so the computations should involve the letter r. However, if r(t) is explicitly defined as f(t), then the formula can still be used.
olicoh
The problem and attempted solution is in the attached document.
My teacher said:
"This is a confusing question. They use the word 'rate' in the description of the information. But, if you change 'growth rate' to 'something' they are asking for the average something, not the rate of change of something."

What does she mean? How do I need to setup the problem differently?

Attachments

• Problem 12.doc
    60.2 KB · Views: 212
Physics news on Phys.org
Your formula gives the average for the rate of change of a function, and so what you've computed gives the average of the rate of change of the growth rate (i.e. the average of r'(t)). But you're looking for the average of the growth rate itself, i.e. the average of r(t). So you need to use the formula with the integral in it.

Also, the name of the function is r, not f, so your computations should involve the letter r, not the letter f.

Citan Uzuki said:
Your formula gives the average for the rate of change of a function, and so what you've computed gives the average of the rate of change of the growth rate (i.e. the average of r'(t)). But you're looking for the average of the growth rate itself, i.e. the average of r(t). So you need to use the formula with the integral in it.

Also, the name of the function is r, not f, so your computations should involve the letter r, not the letter f.

Unless, of course, you explicitly define r(t)=f(t).

Char. Limit said:
Unless, of course, you explicitly define r(t)=f(t).

Pedant.:tongue:

1. What is the average value of a function?

The average value of a function is the value that represents the average output of a function over a given interval. It is calculated by dividing the total output of the function by the length of the interval.

2. How is the average value of a function different from the mean?

The average value of a function is a mathematical concept that is specific to functions, while the mean is a statistical measure that is used for a set of data. The average value of a function is based on the output of the function, while the mean is based on a set of numerical values.

3. What is the significance of finding the average value of a function?

Finding the average value of a function can help in understanding the overall behavior of the function and how it changes over a given interval. It can also be used to calculate important quantities such as the average rate of change and the total output of the function over a given interval.

4. Can the average value of a function be negative?

Yes, the average value of a function can be negative. This means that the average output of the function over a given interval is below the x-axis. It is important to consider the sign of the average value when interpreting its meaning in the context of the function.

5. How do you calculate the average value of a function?

The average value of a function can be calculated by finding the total output of the function over a given interval and dividing it by the length of the interval. This can be represented mathematically as: Average value = (Total output)/(Length of interval)