1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average value of function

1. Feb 2, 2009 #1
    To find the average value of a function of one variable, you integrate it and multiply it by 1/(b - a) , where b and a are the limits of integration , uper and lower, respectively.

But how does one do this for a function of two variables, defined on a rectangle?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The same way, basically. Integrate the function over the rectangle and divide by the area of the rectangle.

4. Feb 3, 2009 #3
    Thanks.

Well I am trying a question. The integrand is (x^2)y. The domain is [2,4] * [-6,6].

Now when I integrate it with respect to y first, it goes to zero. It does not go to zero when you start with x. How is this possible?

5. Feb 3, 2009 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Bad math. :wink:....It should be zero in both cases, try showing us what you are doing when you integrate it over x first....:smile:

6. Feb 3, 2009 #5
    Possibly!:biggrin:

Ah I see what I've been doing wrong! I don't even need to work out the average value, since it integrates to zero, as it should, since it is evenly distributed in the positve and negative y areas!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?