1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average value quest.

1. Mar 2, 2005 #1
    If the average salary [tex] S [/tex] of an NBA player is increasing and can be modeled by: [tex] \frac{dS}{dt} = \frac{1137.7}{\sqrt{t}} + 521.3[/tex] and [tex] t = 5[/tex] is 1985.

a. Find the salary function in terms of the year if the average salary in 1985 was $325,000.
    b. If the average salary continues to increase at this rate, in which year will the salary be $4,000,000?

Would I use the Mean Value Thoerem?

Any help is appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2005 #2
    Have you done any work on this problem yet? Do you know what the answer is supposed to be for part b?
  4. Mar 2, 2005 #3
    Why would you use the Mean Value Theorem? You have an easily separable DEQ with the initial condition S(5) = 325000. Just solve it for S(t), and then find S-1(4000000).

5. Mar 2, 2005 #4
    Correct me if I'm missing something here, but the equation has dS/dt and t in it, making it simply a first derivative. All that's needed is integrating the expression, and then setting the expression equal to S(5) and finding the constant of integration.

I'm not seeing where you're getting a Diff Eq from, when the equation doesn't contain a variable and it's derivative.
  6. Mar 3, 2005 #5
    S'pose you're right. Either way, it doesn't really matter what you call it. The problem's trivial, whether or not you decide to bring the dt to the other side before you integrate.

7. Mar 3, 2005 #6
    It's no big deal... different strokes for different fo'ks. I was just scared I was missing something, but we're on the same page :smile:
  8. Mar 3, 2005 #7
    I really don't understand why we wouldn't call it a differential equation! It's got the derivative, which is enough for me! But the definition is what the definition is, so. ;)

9. Mar 3, 2005 #8

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

He may very well integrate with corresponding limits.
    [tex] \int_{325000}^{S}dS=\int_{5}^{t} dt \ f(t) [/tex]

It's the most direct way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?