What is the average weight of water in the tank?

In summary, Water is run at a constant rate of 1 ft^3/min to fill a cylindrical tank of radius 3ft and height 5ft. Assuming that the tank is initially empty, make a conjecture about the average weight of the water in the tank over the time period required to fill it, and then check your conjecture by integrating. (Take the weight density of water to be 62.4 lb/ft^3).
demonelite123
Water is run at a constant rate of 1 ft^3/min to fill a cylindrical tank of radius 3ft and height 5ft. Assuming that the tank is initially empty, make a conjecture about the average weight of the water in the tank over the time period required to fill it, and then check your conjecture by integrating. (Take the weight density of water to be 62.4 lb/ft^3).

i found the volume of the cylinder to be 235.619 ft^3 which means it will take 235.619 min to fill the tank. so i set up the integral as (1/235.619) integral from (0 to 235.619) of (62.4) dt. i didn't get the correct answer. the correct answer is 1404(pi). please help me set up the correct integral.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi demonelite123! :smile:

(have a pi: π and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
demonelite123 said:
Water is run at a constant rate of 1 ft^3/min to fill a cylindrical tank of radius 3ft and height 5ft …

i found the volume of the cylinder to be 235.619 ft^3 …

eek! … that's πh2r, isn't it? :redface:

As tiny-tim points out, the volume of a cylinder of radius r and height h is [itex]\pi r^2 h[/itex], not [itex]\pi r h^2[/itex] which you appear to be using. And, of course, for a linear problem like this the "average" weight of the water will be 1/2 the full weight.

OH oops. what a silly mistake to make. thanks for the reply guys!

also, if the problem is linear i know now to just take half of the total but what if the problem is not linear?

demonelite123 said:
also, if the problem is linear i know now to just take half of the total but what if the problem is not linear?

uhh? just integrate … that will give you the answer automatically.

i have another question regarding the original problem.

how come after you take the integral you don't divide by 45pi? isn't the formula for average value the integral divided by (b-a) which in this case is (T-0) = T = 45pi?

demonelite123 said:
i have another question regarding the original problem.

how come after you take the integral you don't divide by 45pi? isn't the formula for average value the integral divided by (b-a) which in this case is (T-0) = T = 45pi?

Hi demonelite123! :smile:

(what happened to that π i gave you? :confused:)

Yes, that's right … for the average, you divide tby the time, which in this case is 45π.

I suspect you had the wrong integral … what integral did you use?

What is an average value word problem?

An average value word problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the average, or mean, of a set of numbers or values.

How do you solve an average value word problem?

To solve an average value word problem, you first need to identify the relevant values and determine the total sum of those values. Then, divide the sum by the number of values to find the average.

Can you provide an example of an average value word problem?

Sure, here's an example: The average temperature in a city for the past five days was 70 degrees Fahrenheit. What was the total temperature recorded for those five days?

What are some real-life applications of average value word problems?

Average value word problems can be applied in various fields, such as finance, economics, and science. For example, calculating the average income of a country or finding the average speed of a moving object are both common applications of average value word problems.

How can I check my answer to an average value word problem?

You can check your answer to an average value word problem by plugging your calculated average back into the original problem and making sure it satisfies all the given conditions. You can also use a calculator or ask someone else to double-check your work.