Integrating the Square Root: $\displaystyle \Large \int udv$

In summary, you can take the 3 out of the integral and make it 3/8 *$\displaystyle \Large \int _0^8 sqrt(64+24x^2)dx$. Additionally, you can use the forumla to find g.
Slimsta

Homework Statement

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/1237/63391287.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]$\displaystyle \Large \int udv$[/tex] = uv - [tex]$\displaystyle \Large \int vdu$[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

can i take this 3 out of the integral as well and make it 3/8 *[tex]$\displaystyle \Large \int _0^8 sqrt(64 + 24x^2)dx$[/tex]?

then i do this:
let u = sqrt(64 + 24x2)
du = [tex]$\displaystyle \Large \int _0^8 sqrt(64 + 24x^2)dx$[/tex]
let v = x
dv = dx

is this right so far?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Slimsta said:

Homework Statement

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/1237/63391287.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]$\displaystyle \Large \int udv$[/tex] = uv - [tex]$\displaystyle \Large \int vdu$[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

can i take this 3 out of the integral as well and make it 3/8 *[tex]$\displaystyle \Large \int _0^8 sqrt(64 + 24x^2)dx$[/tex]?
Yes, you can always pull a constant out of the integrand.
Slimsta said:
then i do this:
let u = sqrt(64 + 24x2)
du = [tex]$\displaystyle \Large \int _0^8 sqrt(64 + 24x^2)dx$[/tex]
let v = x
dv = dx

is this right so far?
No, not right. You went backwards by integrating instead of differentiating. If u = sqrt(64 + 24x2), then du = (1/2)(64 + 24x2)-(1/2)(48x). This can be cleaned up, but I left it as I did so you can see the chain rule at work.

Last edited by a moderator:
okay so i have made some changes. i think it would be easier if i do this:
[tex] $ 3/8 \displaystyle \Large \int _0^8 x*sqrt(64 + 24x^2)dx$ [/tex]
f=x
g'=sqrt(64 + 24x^2)
f'=1
g=[tex] $ \displaystyle \Large \int sqrt(64 + 24x^2)dx$ [/tex]

to find g,
let u =sqrt(64 + 24x2)
[tex] $ \displaystyle \Large \int u dx$ [/tex]
du = 1/2 (64 + 24x2)-1/2 * 48x dx

now I am lost..
i know that i have to use the forumla
[tex] $ \displaystyle \Large \int f(x)g'(x) dx = f(x)g(x) - \int g(x)f'(x) dx$ [/tex]

but how do i get g? its too complicated..

You don't need any integration by parts. Substitute u=64+24x^2. du=48*x*dx. So replace x*dx in your original integrand with du/48 and the sqrt with sqrt(u). Now there's no more x's. It's just a u-substitution.

You want to evaluate this integral, right?
[tex]3/8 \int_0^8 x \sqrt{64 + 24x^2}dx[/tex]

This is actually a pretty easy one. Use an ordinary substitution, with u = 64 + 24x2. So du = ?

oh wow... this is pissing me off how easy that was and i did it the long and hard way. i guess the chapter just wants us to do it the hard way >:(

yeah i got the answer is 333.3333

thanks a lot for all the help! :)

What is the meaning of "integrating the square root"?

Integrating the square root refers to the process of finding the antiderivative or indefinite integral of a function that contains a square root expression.

What is the general formula for integrating the square root?

The general formula for integrating the square root is ∫√u dv = (√u)*(v) - ∫(v)*(du/2√u), where u is the inner function and v is the outer function.

Can the square root be integrated using u-substitution?

Yes, the square root can be integrated using u-substitution. This involves substituting u for the expression inside the square root, and then using the general formula for integration.

What are some common examples of integrating the square root?

Some common examples of integrating the square root include ∫√(x^2 + a^2) dx, ∫√(1-x^2) dx, and ∫√(x^2 - a^2) dx. These examples can be solved using u-substitution or other integration techniques.

Why is integrating the square root useful in science?

Integrating the square root is useful in science because many natural phenomena and physical laws can be described using square root functions. Integrating these functions allows us to find the area under the curve, which can provide valuable insights and predictions in various scientific fields.