What is the difference between average speed and average velocity?

In summary, the conversation discusses a runner's average velocity and speed on a 1600m track. The average speed is calculated as 8.0 m/s, and the average velocity is calculated as 2.7 m/s to the East. The concept of displacement is also discussed, with the conclusion that the displacement is actually 800m East from the initial position. The conversation provides a clear understanding of the difference between speed and velocity, and the importance of considering displacement in calculating velocity.
physkid1
hey guys I am very new to physics and its just not making sense at the moment and i know this is a very simple question but i just don't get how to get the velocity ! I've worked out the average speed but i have no idea what the next step is to get the velocity, any hints would be very much appreciated cheers =)

1. 2.A straight track is 1600 m in length. A runner begins at the starting line, runs due east for the full length of the track, turns around, and runs halfway back. The time for this run is five minutes.
What is the runner’s average velocity
and what is his average speed?

2. v=x/t

3. what I've worked out so far is distance is 2400m and 5 minutes is 300s
average speed = 2400m / 300s
= 8.0 m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
physkid1 said:
hey guys I am very new to physics and its just not making sense at the moment and i know this is a very simple question but i just don't get how to get the velocity ! I've worked out the average speed but i have no idea what the next step is to get the velocity, any hints would be very much appreciated cheers =)

1. 2.A straight track is 1600 m in length. A runner begins at the starting line, runs due east for the full length of the track, turns around, and runs halfway back. The time for this run is five minutes.
What is the runner’s average velocity
and what is his average speed?

2. v=x/t

3. what I've worked out so far is distance is 2400m and 5 minutes is 300s
average speed = 2400m / 300s
= 8.0 m/s

That's good for the average speed - since speed is distance / time.

How do we calculate Velocity?
hint: velocity is a vector.

You got speed right, speed is distance over time.
Velocity is actually displacement over time.

ok so I've worked out that average velocity = 800m/300s which gives us 2.66 east (rounded up to 2.7) but i don't totally understand why I've used 800m, how is 800m the displacement, i thought the displacement would have been the 1600m in the east direction not 800 back to the west ?

physkid1 said:
ok so I've worked out that average velocity = 800m/300s which gives us 2.66 east (rounded up to 2.7) but i don't totally understand why I've used 800m, how is 800m the displacement, i thought the displacement would have been the 1600m in the east direction not 800 back to the west ?

?

You gave the velocity as 2.7 m/s, East [correct]

What do you mean "i thought the displacement would have been the 1600m in the east direction not 800 back to the west ?"

800m East is what you get when you go 1600m East and THEN 800 m back to the West from there.
Moving 800m to the west will not get you West of your original starting position? [because you first went 1600m to the east]

EDIT: Perhaps it would have been clearer if the trip had only included 700m West, so that displacement was 900 East and you would not have been distracted by the numerical values being the same.

Last edited:
PeterO said:
800m East is what you get when you go 1600m East and THEN 800 m back to the West from there.
Moving 800m to the west will not get you West of your original starting position? [because you first went 1600m to the east]

ohhhhh that makes total sense =)

the difference between the path of the initial and final position being the definition of displacement

the displacement then is actually 800m east from the initial position (1600 - 800, (800 being halfway back of 1600) as you stated)

thanks heaps =)

1. What is average velocity?

Average velocity is a measure of how fast and in what direction an object is moving over a certain period of time. It is calculated by dividing the total displacement of the object by the total time it took to cover that distance.

2. How is average velocity different from average speed?

While average velocity takes into account both the magnitude and direction of an object's motion, average speed only considers the magnitude. Average speed is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken.

3. How is average velocity calculated?

To calculate average velocity, you need to know the total displacement of the object (change in position) and the total time it took to cover that displacement. The formula for average velocity is displacement divided by time, or v = d/t.

4. Can average velocity be negative?

Yes, average velocity can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of its initial position. In this case, the displacement would have a negative value, resulting in a negative average velocity.

5. How is average velocity represented in a velocity-time graph?

In a velocity-time graph, average velocity is represented by the slope of the line connecting the initial and final velocity points. The steeper the slope, the greater the average velocity of the object.