1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average velocity question?

1. Jul 24, 2014 #1
    Hey guys I just had a question regarding the equation to calculate average velocity. The first equation i've seen is: Vf+Vi/2, with Vf representing final velocity and Vi representing initial velocity. The second equation i've seen is Xf-Xi/Δt, with X representing position and Δt representing the elapsed time. What is the difference between the two? I get confused on which equation to use for a problem asking for average velocity.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2014 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The first equation, (Vf + Vi)/2, gives the average velocity when the acceleration is constant. It's not true in general.

The second, (Xf - Xi)/Δt, is the definition of average velocity and is always true. Whether it's useful or not depends on what you are given in the problem.

4. Jul 24, 2014 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Notice the parentheses Doc Al added in his reply to you.

5. Jul 26, 2014 #4
    ok that cleared it up, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted