Average Velocity of a particle

So, in this case, the average velocity from time t=0 to time t=3 is given by\frac{1}{3 - 0} \int_0^3 (e^t + te^t) dt = \frac{1}{3} \left(e^3 + 3e^3\right) = \frac{4e^3}{3} = 20.086. The mistake in your calculation was that you forgot to divide by 3. Therefore, the correct answer is 20.086 ft/sec.
lude1

Homework Statement

The velocity, in ft/sec, of a particle moving along the x-axis is given by the function v(t) = e^t + te^t. What is the average velocity of the particle from time t=0 to time t=3?

Answer: 20.086

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Average velocity means the derivative formula, [s(t + Δt) - s(t)] / (Δt)
In other words, I get

[v(3) - v(0)] / (3-0)
[e3 - 3e3] / 3
And I got 26.447​

However, the answer is 20.086.

What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
lude1 said:

Homework Statement

The velocity, in ft/sec, of a particle moving along the x-axis is given by the function v(t) = e^t + te^t. What is the average velocity of the particle from time t=0 to time t=3?

Answer: 20.086

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Average velocity means the derivative formula, [s(t + Δt) - s(t)] / (Δt)
In other words, I get

[v(3) - v(0)] / (3-0)
[e3 - 3e3] / 3
And I got 26.447​

However, the answer is 20.086.

What did I do wrong?
The average value of a function f(x) on an interval [a, b] is
[tex]\frac{1}{b - a} \int_a^b f(x) dx[/tex]

1. What is the definition of average velocity?

The average velocity of a particle is defined as the change in position of the particle over a specific time interval. It is a vector quantity that takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the displacement.

2. How is average velocity different from average speed?

Average velocity and average speed are often confused, but they are not the same. Average velocity takes into account the direction of motion, while average speed only considers the magnitude of the displacement. Therefore, average speed is always equal to or greater than average velocity.

3. How is average velocity calculated?

To calculate average velocity, the displacement of a particle is divided by the time taken for that displacement. This can be represented by the equation: average velocity = (final position - initial position) / time taken.

4. Can the average velocity of a particle be negative?

Yes, the average velocity of a particle can be negative. This indicates that the particle is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction chosen for the coordinate system. For example, if a particle moves from a position of 5 meters to 1 meter in 2 seconds, its average velocity would be -2 meters per second.

5. How does the average velocity of a particle relate to its instantaneous velocity?

The average velocity of a particle is the average of its instantaneous velocities at different points during the time interval. Instantaneous velocity is the velocity of a particle at a specific moment in time, while average velocity considers the overall motion over a specific time interval.