Calculate Average Velocity of a Truck

In summary, the formula for calculating average velocity of a truck is distance traveled divided by time, or v = d/t. The distance traveled can be measured using a measuring tape, ruler, or GPS device. For accurate calculation, the time measurement should be as precise as possible, ideally in seconds. Even if a truck has varying speeds, its average velocity can still be calculated by measuring the distance and time for each speed. The calculated average velocity can be used in research and analysis to measure efficiency, speed, and performance, and to compare and analyze the impact of different factors on the truck's speed and performance.
tnneal
1 A truck travels along a staright road at 80 m/s and it travels at 40 m/s for the next 1200m. what is the average velocity?

2. ave V= change d/ time
r=dt (get the total time)

3. (1600-1200)/ 50
this is incorrect

I also tried ave V= (u+v)/t and it did not work

Physics news on Phys.org
Is that all of the information you have been given? Were you not told how long the truck is moving at 80 m/s for?

1. What is the formula for calculating average velocity of a truck?

The formula for calculating average velocity is distance traveled divided by the time it takes to travel that distance, or v = d/t.

2. How do I measure the distance traveled by a truck?

The distance traveled by a truck can be measured using a measuring tape or ruler on a map or physically measuring the distance on the road. You can also use a GPS device to track the distance traveled.

3. How precise does my time measurement need to be for accurate average velocity calculation?

The time measurement needs to be as precise as possible for accurate average velocity calculation. Ideally, it should be measured in seconds using a stopwatch or a clock with seconds displayed.

4. Can I calculate the average velocity of a truck if it has varying speeds?

Yes, you can still calculate the average velocity of a truck even if it has varying speeds. You will need to measure the distance traveled and the time taken for each speed and then calculate the overall average velocity using the formula v = d/t.

5. How can I use the calculated average velocity of a truck in my research or analysis?

The average velocity of a truck can be used as a measure of its efficiency, speed, and performance. It can also be compared to other trucks or used to analyze the impact of different factors such as road conditions, weather, and load on the truck's speed and performance.