Average Velocity: Initial & Final Velocities vs. Mean Value Theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses two different approaches to deriving the formula for average velocity. The first approach involves taking the sum of initial and final velocities and dividing by two, while the second approach involves calculating velocities after each instant and using the Mean Value Theorem for Integrals to find the average velocity. The question at hand is whether the second approach is correct.
Ali Asadullah
In the photo attached, i have tried to derive the formula that average velocty is equal to the sum of initial and final velocities divided by two. But i am not sure about one step encircled in the photo. I don't know whether encircled step is right or wrong. I have another idea of deriving this formula which is similar to this but skips this step.
I assumed that we calculate velocities after each one second, but if we suppose that we somehow calculate velocity after each instant then sum of velocities will gives us the integral of velocity function and dividing it by "n" will give us average velocity according to Mean Value Theorem for Integrals.
My question is whether my second appraoch is right?

Attachments

• Baig1234.jpg
    Baig1234.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 549
Physics news on Phys.org
Average velocity is equal to the vector difference in displacement divided by the time interval

What is average velocity?

Average velocity is a measurement of an object's overall displacement divided by the total time it took to move. It is represented by the formula v = (xf - xi) / (tf - ti), where xf and xi represent the final and initial positions, and tf and ti represent the final and initial times, respectively.

How is initial velocity different from final velocity?

Initial velocity is the velocity of an object at the beginning of its motion, while final velocity is the velocity at the end of its motion. They may be different if the object has experienced acceleration or deceleration during its movement.

Can the mean value theorem be applied to average velocity?

Yes, the mean value theorem can be applied to average velocity. It states that for a continuous function, there exists a point where the instantaneous rate of change (or velocity) is equal to the average rate of change (or average velocity) over a given interval.

What is the significance of average velocity in physics?

Average velocity is an important concept in physics as it helps us understand an object's overall motion over a certain period of time. It can be used to calculate other important quantities such as displacement, acceleration, and distance traveled.

How does average velocity differ from instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is a measure of an object's overall motion over a given time interval, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific moment in time. Instantaneous velocity can be calculated using the derivative of the object's position function, while average velocity uses the object's initial and final positions and times.