Why is Average Velocity Defined Differently in Calculus?

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of average velocity and how it can be calculated using different formulas. The main difference between the physics and calculus definitions is that the former takes into account constant acceleration, while the latter does not. Additionally, there is a distinction between velocity (a signed number) and speed (non-negative), which can affect the average values in certain scenarios.
vanmaiden

Homework Statement

When I looked a physics for a while, I learned that average velocity is the sum of the initial and final velocities divided by two. However, I looked through one of my calculus books and it defined average velocity as the change in displacement over the change in time. Could someone please explain why this is?

Homework Equations

[itex]\frac{V_{2}+V_{1}}{2}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\Delta D}{\Delta T}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I did some research and wasn't able to find much. I was just told what the calculus definition was and I already knew that.

Physics news on Phys.org
The average velocity is defined as the displacement divided by the elapsed time.

If acceleration is constant during the time interval under consideration, then the average velocity may be calculated by taking the average of the initial & final velocities.

SammyS said:
The average velocity is defined as the displacement divided by the elapsed time.

If acceleration is constant during the time interval under consideration, then the average velocity may be calculated by taking the average of the initial & final velocities.

Thank you. That makes a great deal of sense. Very impressive degrees by the way.

If the acceleration is not constant, the 50-50 average of the initial and final velocities is not always equal to the true average velocity (the latter being displacement/time *by definition*). Note also that you need to distinguish between velocity and speed. For example, if I drive from A to B in 1 hour and immediately turn around and drive back from B to A in 1 hour, my average velocity = 0, irrespective of details. However, computing my average speed over those 2 hours would require details about acceleration, decelleration and the like.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
For example, if I drive from A to B in 1 hour and immediately turn around and drive back from B to A in 1 hour, my average velocity = 0, irrespective of details. However, computing my average speed over those 2 hours would require details about acceleration, decelleration and the like.RGV

Would you have an average velocity of 0 because the return trip velocity is negative?

It's zero because the displacement from A to A is zero.

Be careful about the distinction between "velocity" and "speed". In one dimensional problems "velocity" is a signed number (in two or three dimensions, it is a vector) while "speed" is non-negative- the magnitude of the velocity.

If the distance from A to B is 200 m and you travel from A to B in 4 seconds and you travel from B back to A in 3 seconds, your average velocity, from A to B is 50 m/s while your average velocity from B to A is -66 2/3 m/s. Your average velocity for the entire trip is 0 because you are right back where you started. Your average speed from A to B is 50 m/s while your average speed from B to A is +66 2/3 m/s. Your average speed for the entire trip is 400/7= 56 1/7 m/s because you did a total of 400 m in 7 seconds.

What is average velocity?

Average velocity is a measure of an object's displacement over a specific period of time. It is calculated by dividing the change in position (displacement) by the time it took to travel that distance.

How is average velocity different from average speed?

Average velocity takes into account the direction of motion, while average speed does not. Average speed only considers the total distance traveled, while average velocity considers both the distance and direction of motion.

Can average velocity be negative?

Yes, average velocity can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of its initial position. This means that the object is traveling in the opposite direction of its initial displacement.

What is the unit of measurement for average velocity?

The unit of measurement for average velocity is meters per second (m/s) in the International System of Units (SI). Other common units include kilometers per hour (km/h) and miles per hour (mph).

How is average velocity used in real life?

Average velocity is used in many areas of science and everyday life, such as in sports to measure the speed of athletes, in transportation to calculate the speed of vehicles, and in physics to analyze the motion of objects. It can also be used to calculate the average speed of a journey or to determine the efficiency of a machine or process.