Calculate Average Velocity: Get Help Here!

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with a problem involving average velocity. The respondents suggest using the formula delta x over delta t to calculate average velocity, and advise the person to carefully measure the distance on a graph to find the exact position at t=5. They also clarify that the formula for average acceleration is delta v over delta t, not delta x over delta t. One respondent offers a solution involving using a ruler to measure distances on the graph, while another suggests using the given information to calculate the velocity at t=5.
sfgradv
Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks!

Attachments

• 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 391
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes I do, and you're welcome.

On this forum, you are expected to show your work so we can help you progress. We will not give you the answer. SO, what have you done so far? Can you at least tell me what is the equation for the average velocity?

delta v over delta t. i don't no the velocity for t = 5.

hello I am guessing since ave velocity is m/s you can get the velocity by looking at the y-axis aka the position in meters. Then you have the components for solving the problem, right? Others-feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

the thing is it doesn't tell u exactly what the position is at t = 5. it is between 40 - 60 and it said not to eyeball it. i thought it was 45 and i used it in the formula and got 6.3 and got the wrong answer. so what should i do now?

sfgradv said:
delta v over delta t.

That's the formula for average acceleration. Average velocity is [itex]\Delta x / \Delta t[/itex].

yea sorry. i meant delta x over delta. i still don't no how to do it and its 3 am now! i have to go to sleep. ahhhhh. can someone please help me quick?

sfgradv said:
the thing is it doesn't tell u exactly what the position is at t = 5. it is between 40 - 60 and it said not to eyeball it. i thought it was 45 and i used it in the formula and got 6.3 and got the wrong answer. so what should i do now?

Get out a ruler, and carefully measure (a) the distance between the x = 40 and x = 60 lines on the graph, and (b) the distance between the x = 40 line and the point where the graph intersects the t = 5 line. That will give you enough information to calculate x at t = 5 (more precisely, x - 40).

Don't worry about t=5. Since the graph is a straight line, the velocity is a constant there. It looks to me like t= 4.5, x= 60 and when t= 6, x= 20. velocity at t= 5 should be (20- 60)/(6-4.5) (which is no where NEAR 6.3!)

What is average velocity?

Average velocity is a measure of the displacement of an object over a given time period. It is calculated by dividing the total displacement by the total time elapsed.

How do I calculate average velocity?

To calculate average velocity, you need to know the initial and final positions of the object and the total time it took to move between those positions. Then, divide the total displacement by the total time elapsed.

What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the overall measure of the displacement of an object over a given time period, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific moment in time. Average velocity takes into account the entire distance traveled, while instantaneous velocity only looks at the velocity at a single point.

Can average velocity be negative?

Yes, average velocity can be negative. This means that the object has moved in the opposite direction of its initial position.

Why is average velocity important in science?

Average velocity is important in science because it helps us understand the motion and behavior of objects. It allows us to analyze and make predictions about the movement of objects over time, which is crucial in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.